Maestronet Forums

Bow Information

Mikiemax

Hi, 

I recently purchased a bow at a second hand store.

At the time I bought it, it seemed to have a problem - with the frog fully 'screwed' back, i.e the hair fully taut (as much as possible) the hair was still touching (very lightly) the wood at the centre of the bow.

Anyway I was on the look out for a bow, and thought for the sake of a small risk - this could probably be easily fixed by shortening the hair.

I had tried it out a little at the tip and near the frog and liked how it felt, I also liked the look of the wood, and the overall weight - it just felt really nice to me. Also I noticed that someone had carried out a slight 'repair' to the tip - in that the original piece of white plastic there had been replaced by an incorrectly shaped piece - so I figured it had been at least nice enough to rehair and 'repair'.

I got it home and oddly enough - by the time I had spent walking back to my house, and visiting a few shops the problem with the loose hair had somewhat righted itself - not fully - but now at full pressure there was at least 5-6 mm between the hair and the wood. 

Does anyone have any idea how this occurred? Also do you think I may be correct that adjusting the length of the hair will solve the issue I had noticed.

I am also adding some photos of the bow, it plays a lot nicer than the bow I am currently using which is a lower end Dorfler. Does anyone have any idea of the likely origin of this Bow? It has no stamp or ID marks that I can see.

post-52955-0-54852100-1393842343_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-72203600-1393842346_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-74179600-1393842349_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-85039900-1393842352_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-78038700-1393842355_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-56803600-1393842358_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-26861300-1393842361_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-31455000-1393842364_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-44038800-1393842367_thumb.jpgpost-52955-0-34351800-1393842370_thumb.jpg

...by the time I had spent walking back to my house, and visiting a few shops the problem with the loose hair had somewhat righted itself - not fully - but now at full pressure there was at least 5-6 mm between the hair and the wood. 

Does anyone have any idea how this occurred?...

Change in humidity.  The humidity where you went after you left the store where you bought the bow was less than it was in that store.  The hair shrank shorter as it dried out.

Very often with bows that are older and haired fairly well from the start - but the hair will not tighten now, you'll find that the knot came out or rose up inside the frog (looking at the mortise) - right there, under the very nice looking slide.

Perhaps not  - but then, that usually means that it was rehaired improperly right from the start. Which does happen - but not nearly as often. In fact rarely.

One thing is, that you cannot really shorten the hair that's on it now.

But the hair does look like it needs to be replaced... Even if you take the frog off the bow, and try to reset the hair, then finish the job and put things all back together, well, you'd be better of getting a (new) rehair anyway. Believe me.

That looks like a decent bow - I'd like to see it in person - and, believe that I'd absolutely have it rehaired. When you look down its length, do you see a warp or does the bow go very straight? When you look at it sideways how pronounced is its camber? or, when you lay it on the table with the hair relaxed and facing down, how close does the shaft (center) come to touching the surface of the table at the bend?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Craig T

Looks nice.  If it plays well for you, you got your money's worth.  As used European bows, (including vintage German) go at sale, 20 euros is nothing, check eBay and you'll see.  Hair length can increase and decrease alarmingly with humidity changes, this is how most hygrometers work and "bad hair days" happen :) .

1. When you look down its length, do you see a warp or does the bow go very straight?

2. When you look at it sideways how pronounced is its camber? or, when you lay it on the table with the hair relaxed and facing down, how close does the shaft (center) come to touching the surface of the table at the bend?

Thanks for the reply Craig.

In answer to your questions.

1. I believe the bow couldn't really be any straighter as I look along its length. Even at the very tip as I look directly down the shaft from the frog end it is perfectly in line, and at the tip the slight overlap which is visible each side of the stick appears identical.

2. Looking at the lowest point of the shaft, where it is closest to the table - with the hair completely loose. I believe the height from the top of the table is about 1.5 - 2.0 mm, certainly no more.

Thanks Brad and Violadamore for the comments re the humidity and bow-hair length. It is useful and interesting information.

I agree that more important than the price is whether I like it - and I do - more so every time I pick it up. I have a bow I was getting increasingly frustrated with, and as I said was tentatively searching for something better. I never expected I'd find something so cheap. 

This was in with a box of bows, most of which I tried and didn't like, and there was no price on it. I saw the issue with the hair and wood touching and thought I'd risk 20 quid on it, but no more incase it couldn't be easily fixed (if it could be fixed at all). So I pointed out my reservations, and that I'd be taking a risk, and offered the store owner €20, and he was happy enough to accept.

I'll be glad enough if it turns out to be worth a good bit more than what I a paid for it, but I will be far more pleased if I now have a bow that I can enjoy playing with, which appears to be the case.

It needs new hair and  a new headplate. The mortice in the tip broke through to the outside (that is the dark patch on the right side of the head). The stick seems to gain very quick in taper, so  I think it will be either very stiff or the stick is weak behind the head...

It is ok but not a bargain.

Florian

Thanks for the link Jacob. 

Thanks for the info Florian - it's interesting what you say about the dark patch, I had simply assumed it was a blemish in the wood. 

I'm not experienced enough to understand if the stick is very stiff - like you suggest, and I'm not sure what you mean by it potentially being weak - I presume you mean it may get damaged easily - so I will take care of it.