Sign in to follow this  
UG Fiddlesmith

Broken Tongue

An old bow (1900) was brought to me with a broken tongue with a request to repair the frog; I don't feel the bow is of high value and the owner doesn't want to spend high dollars to restore it.  I have ideas how to do the repair but would like to hear from others who have  actually done it.  If all else fails I can fit a new frog but I would like to restore the old frog.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would first glue the tongue back in position, making sure that the ferrule sits correctly on the frog. Then cut a channel through towards the frog mortice, and fit a piece of ebony to bridge the break. Depending on the thickness of the tongue etc., you'll have to decide the shape and size of the new piece.

Normally the tongue breaks at the rear end of the ring fit and normally they break clean and sharp, giving very little overlapping glue surface.

Best approach in my experience is to take a half round or round file (ca 6mm) and form a u-shaped channel into the body of the frog, carefully avoiding to touch the dovetail.

Right down to nearly the surface of the wood adjacent to the ring. Then chalk fit in a piece of ebony. Then form the ring seat, so that the ring sits tight and properly.

The procedure is well described in the IPCI book.

Have fun!