Sign in to follow this  
GoldenPlate

DHL Paket

Isn't DHL owned by Deutsche Post?  Isn't Deutsche Post the government run postal service in Germany?  As someone who believes the world needs more, not less, government ownership (or at least regulation) of entities which are essential and supposed to serve everybody, eg, healthcare, transportation, etc, I have to ask, What could be wrong with DHL?

DHL: acronym of "dauert halt länger" (it takes  just longer) :P.

After two weeks it could be there, depends not only from the company, but from your import office. Ask for the international shipping number for research.

And the german post isn't government owned since the neoliberalism ruled in the beginning of the century and everything was sold on the stock markets.

Actually, for my case, it took only about two days for the violin to ship out from Germany. But then, the wait started like there's no end.......I wonder what took so long for the transit....

And the german post isn't government owned since the neoliberalism ruled in the beginning of the century and everything was sold on the stock markets.

Maybe that's the problem, and the solution is to return it to government ownership.

Isn't DHL owned by Deutsche Post?  Isn't Deutsche Post the government run postal service in Germany?  As someone who believes the world needs more, not less, government ownership (or at least regulation) of entities which are essential and supposed to serve everybody, eg, healthcare, transportation, etc, I have to ask, What could be wrong with DHL?

That almost sounds cynical. But at least in Britain and Germany even visiting Americans don't have to die if they slice themselves open with a bridge knife. In fact anyone, from anywhere in the world, will be sewn up by the British National Health service, free of charge, as long as they don't need to stay overnight. I promise you no questions about insurance or whatever. Even then no British citizen will be required to pay for weeks of overnight treatment, even if they are poverty stricken violin makers. And there are plenty of them around, even in the good 'ol U S of A.

Two years ago I sent a violin to the USA from Germany with DHL. Forty days later it was still in a warehouse in Leipzig. All customs officials everywhere are difficult, but if you add DHL to the mix...

That almost sounds cynical. But at least in Britain and Germany even visiting Americans don't have to die if they slice themselves open with a bridge knife. In fact anyone, from anywhere in the world, will be sewn up by the British National Health service, free of charge, as long as they don't need to stay overnight.

Do you have any idea how disastrously American violin makers can slice themselves? :lol:

That almost sounds cynical. But at least in Britain and Germany even visiting Americans don't have to die if they slice themselves open with a bridge knife. In fact anyone, from anywhere in the world, will be sewn up by the British National Health service, free of charge, as long as they don't need to stay overnight. I promise you no questions about insurance or whatever. Even then no British citizen will be required to pay for weeks of overnight treatment, even if they are poverty stricken violin makers. And there are plenty of them around, even in the good 'ol U S of A.

No, I'm not being cynical.  I agree with you completely.  Everyone should have the right to competent healthcare, without regard to their financial means.  We need a universal healthcare system, like Canada's and Europe's.  We didn't get that with the latest health care "reform" in the USA.  The private insurance companies, who have failed to provide affordable, universal healthcare for the last 70 some years, are still in charge, now with government subsidies, as if they don't already make enough.

Here, in the USA, government (regardless of who's in power) works for big business, not the general public.  I was thinking Germany might be different.

I was thinking that DHL was a German government run service, and thus pretty efficient.  But it looks like I'm misinformed, at least about the government ownership.

But getting back to DHL, what problems are they having?

The biggest problem, similar to Amazon and other companies, is the attitude to pay wages, which cannot assure the usual costs of a life in dignity.

Why? See above.

The biggest problem, similar to Amazon and other companies, is the attitude to pay wages, which cannot assure the usual costs of a life in dignity.

Why? See above.

Money is related to dignity?

Oh chit, if so, many of us makers have been going about it all backwards. :lol:

Silly me, I'd been thinkin' that money was money, and dignity was dignity.

Money is related to dignity?

Oh chit, if so, many of us makers have been going about it all backwards. :lol:

Silly me, I'd been thinkin' that money was money, and dignity was dignity.

Maybe there's a difference between wages you're paying your employees (as a big company, global player) and your income from a self-determined work, which has dignity in itself?

The majority of working people IMO would say, yes, money is dignity and dignity is money, and it can determine the speed and quality of your work (regarding delivery service, not violin making <_< ).

Maybe there's a difference between wages you're paying your employees (as a big company, global player) and your income from a self-determined work, which has dignity in itself?

The majority of working people IMO would say, yes, money is dignity and dignity is money, and it can determine the speed and quality of your work (regarding delivery service, not violin making <_< ).

So not only is money related to dignity, but one's job description as well? :o

Use Fedex! Or better look for a parcel shop wich offer Fedex service. For a Violin about 80 Euro from Germany to US, 48 hours or lesser without custom problems. Don´t forget the "lacy-act".

I'm all ears.

Howsabout mental health professionals?

I've tried very hard not to go too much out of topic, but I'm smelling the problematic keywords, as governmental, healthcare and some correlated, right?

Of course we may have a different view on this subjects in our part of the world, for historical and other reasons, and if you're reading Roger Hargrave's posts, you could get a feeling, why.

I won't deny, that it's possible to clean toilets in dignity, but if people are working hard and fulltime for big companies, and are forced to go to the (governmental) welfare to feed their families, I can't see any inapropriateness to talk about dignity, even if it sounds too pathetic in someone's ears.

Asian sweatshop workers, burned to death or burried under collapsing buildings at their workplace, could tell a lot about job description, money and dignity, too, you don't need a philosopher or a mental health professional to understand them.

Ok, many people seem to like the freedom to sleep under bridges and search food out of rubbish bins or let their children die of scarlet fever, as long as it's called freedom of governmental paternalism, but you could accept, that there are other opinions about it. And I don't know any violin maker who is living that way, possibly there are some?

Back to topic: I have a guilty conscience to ask an overworked and underpaid parcel man for more speed and shorter delivery time, but it's also ok with me, if anybody doesn't care.

Also not to get too far off topic, but in the USA, (at least in California, and most states) if you show up at an emergency room with a "serious" knife cut, say from a bridge knife (or an underpass knife? :P ), they have to patch you up, even if you don't have insurance.  They will charge you; if you can't pay, or don't have insurance, they cannot legally turn you away.  When you are stable, they will discharge you, or transfer you to a county hospital.  With insurance, or if you can pay, they only transfer you to a community hospital if appropriate.  They may also keep you over night for observation.  Most SoCal hospitals have fairly good triage in ER, so if you are really sick, they will get you to care first, and bug whoever came in with you about the paperwork.  Several hospitals whose practices I am familiar with donate or write off large sums for care for those who cannot pay (in one case, nearly 1/3 of all payments received, after government subsidies have been taken out of the calculus).  The non-emergency cases who also can't pay usually get transferred to county hospitals,  ASAP.  

I've tried very hard not to go too much out of topic, but I'm smelling the problematic keywords, as governmental, healthcare and some correlated, right?

No. I'm talking about a very basic concept: The extent to which one relies on external validation, societal approval, or circumstances for their sense of self-worth or happiness. There are delivery people who are unhappy, and people who have a similar life and job, or much worse, who are happy. What's the difference? A lot of it comes down to their way of thinking.

.  We need a universal healthcare system, like Canada's and Europe's. 

...which is collapsing under the tremendous abuse of millions of free-loaders who haven't worked in 3 generations, immigrants and criminals. 

No. I'm talking about a very basic concept: The extent to which one relies on external validation, societal approval, or circumstances for their sense of self-worth or happiness. There are delivery people who are unhappy, and people who have a similar life and job, or much worse, who are happy. What's the difference? A lot of it comes down to their way of thinking.

The difference of concepts lies, IMHO, in the ideas of dignity and happiness.

Maybe this is a kind of cultural misunderstanding, if you're believing in a self-made fate or in social depending relationships.

Sometimes it doesn't help to think positive, if you're unable to pay your bills, or to tell your exhausted working man "Don't worry, be happy!".

I won't mix up the relation between working circumstances and fair wages  with individual self-worth or happiness (how do you define or measure happiness?)

Apparently, some people can. ;)

As you see, I've edited the post a minute after writing.

With "some people" I can agree, and sometimes I catch myself doing it :o:( .