Maestronet Forums

How to design the back of a scroll?

MikeC

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 years later...

Reviving this old thread. I posed this in my bench thread but I may bet more feedback here...

Working on a scroll template for my grand Amati inspired violin. I'm trying to create a 'story stick' for laying out the scroll widths. I used photos of the Alard from the B&G book and tried to follow @Davide Sora diagram. I chose a simplified list of reference points however. The chin, bottom of the scroll, centre of the eye, top and one point on either side of the top, so 8 points in total. (basically the same markers used by Roger in the Bass book). All marked on the drawing. The distance between the circles is a straight line from one marker to the next and the widths were taken with a calliper from the Alard in the B&G book

I could use some feedback as I've never done this before. Attached is a PDF of a CAD drawing (the reference mark is 100mm if you print it). The image shows the actual numbers for reference. All the number make this look really complex but it isn't, the numbers are basically the virtual divider marks calculated by the app - in practical use using dividers the numbers don't really matter

Am I on the right track?

Amati Alard Scroll.png

Amati Alard 1649, v2-Layout1.pdf

17 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

Reviving this old thread. I posed this in my bench thread but I may bet more feedback here...

Working on a scroll template for my grand Amati inspired violin. I'm trying to create a 'story stick' for laying out the scroll widths. I used photos of the Alard from the B&G book and tried to follow @Davide Sora diagram. I chose a simplified list of reference points however. The chin, bottom of the scroll, centre of the eye, top and one point on either side of the top, so 8 points in total. (basically the same markers used by Roger in the Bass book). All marked on the drawing. The distance between the circles is a straight line from one marker to the next and the widths were taken with a calliper from the Alard in the B&G book

I could use some feedback as I've never done this before. Attached is a PDF of a CAD drawing (the reference mark is 100mm if you print it). The image shows the actual numbers for reference. All the number make this look really complex but it isn't, the numbers are basically the virtual divider marks calculated by the app - in practical use using dividers the numbers don't really matter

Am I on the right track?

I think so, although I must say that having all different distances between the centers is a bit impractical, on the head of the Alard there seem to be just two distances, one for the back and one for the front. But in any case it doesn't change much on the accuracy of the system. The measurements you take seems a bit different, although not much, from the ones indicated on the The Strad poster. Do you have it?

Hi Davide

3 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

I think so, although I must say that having all different distances between the centers is a bit impractical, on the head of the Alard there seem to be just two distances, one for the back and one for the front. But in any case it doesn't change much on the accuracy of the system. The measurements you take seems a bit different, although not much, from the ones indicated on the The Strad poster. Do you have it?

Hi Davide - Thanks for you feedback. Unfortunately I don't have the Alard poster. How far out am I?

I took the measurements widths with a calliper from the B&G book so perhaps not the most accurate method.  I chose spots I could easily locate on the side profile template (e.g width of the front and back at the centre of the eye) - so yes you are correct the points are not equally spaced. Nicolo's markings are at different spots than the ones I chose.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, Urban Luthier said:

Hi Davide

Hi Davide - Thanks for you feedback. Unfortunately I don't have the Alard poster. How far out am I?

I took the measurements widths with a calliper from the B&G book so perhaps not the most accurate method.  I chose spots I could easily locate on the side profile template (e.g width of the front and back at the centre of the eye) - so yes you are correct the points are not equally spaced. Nicolo's markings are at different spots than the ones I chose.

Not a big deal, only a few tenths, based on the maximum and minimum width, which are the only two comparable because the others are taken in different positions.

For the other measures you will have to try to figure it out by yourself:)