Sign in to follow this  
Kallie

What violin is this?

Fine Old Vintage Antique Violin Sanctus Seraphin 1727 Grafted One piece Back:

"Violin" and "one piece back" is correct.

My amateur uneducated guess with glasses: German 1900 or later  built on back   or with outside mold.

Varnish redone. Fake graft fake peg bushings

antiqued, not antique. Particularly not Sanctus.

Fake graft fake peg bushings

antiqued, not antique. Particularly not Sanctus.

Real bushings, real graft, fake violin though.  I am not at all convinced it's old (as in 75/80 years old) or re-varnished and would not be surprised at all if it was brand new, bushings, graft and all.

There's a big difference between it being 100 years old and brand new...what are you basing your age determination on?

There's a big difference between it being 100 years old and brand new...what are you basing your age determination on?

If you look at the 5th. Picture from the left (scroll, treble side) you can see quite clearly that is is from the "Dutzendarbeit" tradition. It is re-varnished and tarted up though, and thus a bit treacherous, so it helps if you aren't a little cross-eyed from counting annual rings :)

...uh!  I think I see what you're seeing...thank you!

Geez...I need to see these things in real life...while the internet photos are quite good in many instances, they just don't compare to an instrument in the hand...

If you look at the 5th. Picture from the left (scroll, treble side) you can see quite clearly that is is from the "Dutzendarbeit" tradition. It is re-varnished and tarted up though, and thus a bit treacherous, so it helps if you aren't a little cross-eyed from counting annual rings :)

Would you mind telling me why you say it is re-varnished? Are there certain giveaways? Thank you for your expertise on this topic. :) Much appreciated, as always. 

Would you mind telling me why you say it is re-varnished? Are there certain giveaways? Thank you for your expertise on this topic. :) Much appreciated, as always.

that sounds like an invatation to spend hours writing a long post! :) The concise answer would be to spend decades looking at hundreds that haven’t been re/over-varished

I was just curious...would odour give it (age) away at all?  My new violins do not smell remotely like my old violins...

$_57.JPG

jacobsaunders, on 06 Feb 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:snapback.png

If you look at the 5th. Picture from the left (scroll, treble side) you can                                                                                                     can see quite clearly that is is from the "Dutzendarbeit" tradition.

Fluting not all the way in the throat, stops before 6 o'clock?

The back does look to be in unusually pristine condition.

The front seems to have natural wear, but I think someone hopes to make a tidy profit out of this violin and may have gone to some trouble.

The scroll doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the rest of it, in fact in this context ("Ebay-ready Italian labelled", never been circulated, no return because of its nature etc) I would think it's very likely been put there because it passes superficial muster in large format photos. 

Rather strange to have two sets of reasonably professional photos, one against white (or off-white) and another against black.

I just noticed I had another violin listed by this seller on my watch list.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331123498311?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks like someone is practicing their antiquing.

I'll shoot a little higher on my guess, $1175.

"Possibly Italian or German"  ROFL :lol:

Do I see a head graft? 

I don't think so, it looks to me like it has a fake snakewood pattern painted on.

That is just one of the hundreds of thousands of pre-WWI cottage industry bows supplied by the Markneukirchen trade, the sub-spiecies with the painted on snakewood blotches. Ivory/Tortoiseshell were once upon a time a kind of ersatz-plastic. It would never-the-less land in my rubbish box.

I don't understand how any conection has been made to anybody called “Saunders Bros.” certainly no relation, and most probably imposters, perhaps you can enlighten me.