Maestronet Forums

Rib Taper--why not from the back?

marinosglitsos

It still doesn't make sense to me.  Why make a horizontal scribe line along the rib.  Why not just make a mark near the neck block and plane or file down to it from the corner block.  

Maybe a better question, do you put a scribe mark on your ribs?  If not then why not?  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

Hmm...it makes perfect sense to me. When you have the ribs at full height (without the taper yet), draw a line with a scribe marker with the measurement of the taper at the upper block (about 2 mm), and use it as a reference to reach when planing the taper. Well, I would have just made it shorter to let it disappear, but having it longer gives a reference for the inclination of the ribs outside the upper block. The same line is also visible on some Amati instruments.

Yes, I agree completely!

9 minutes ago, MikeC said:

It still doesn't make sense to me.  Why make a horizontal scribe line along the rib.  Why not just make a mark near the neck block and plane or file down to it from the corner block.  

Maybe a better question, do you put a scribe mark on your ribs?  If not then why not?  

I use a more modern pencil, no marks left;)

40 minutes ago, MikeC said:

I think Sora presented a pretty good argument in the post right above yours.

The Italian makers of that era didn't seem to think it was terribly important to remove all evidence of the layout process. Do you?