actual color of the 1716 Messiah Strad

I have a question or two for those of you who have seen the 1716 Messiah Strad in person in good light, and perhaps have held it in your hands.  I've seen all sorts of photos of the Messiah, and I have the Strad poster of it.  The black and white photos make it look very dark.  The top's texture photo of the treble f-hole makes it look reddish-orange.  The photos of it with the Lady Blunt make it look golden-brown.  The Strad poster makes it look the lightest golden-brown of all the pictures.

What is the real color of the 1716 Messiah Strad violin?  (Or at least to which picture should I try to match the finish on my copy of it?)

Bill

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is both those colors! Depends what light it has. Joe might chime in-- he compared Cremonese varnish' dichroic states at the Varnish Roundtable talk at the VSA last year.

It will range from light oxblood to soft orange-gold, depending how much light is penetrating the varnish to bounce around the ground.

It is both those colors! Depends what light it has. Joe might chime in-- he compared Cremonese varnish' dichroic states at the Varnish Roundtable talk at the VSA last year.

It will range from light oxblood to soft orange-gold, depending how much light is penetrating the varnish to bounce around the ground.

Most pictures we see of intruments are taken face on...at 90 degrees to the face of the plate.  This is the angle where the varnish will appear the "lightest". As we move our line of observation from 90 degrees out to a more oblique angle the varnish will appear to get darker and often to change color.

Joe

Joe

Different photos from the web certainly do give wildly different impressions.

post-30802-0-29442500-1390072194_thumb.jpg post-30802-0-07491500-1390072221_thumb.jpg post-30802-0-63667900-1390072236_thumb.jpg post-30802-0-56717300-1390072263_thumb.jpg post-30802-0-17809100-1390072285_thumb.jpg post-30802-0-62670200-1390072308_thumb.jpg post-30802-0-35063700-1390072331_thumb.jpg

My guess would be a reddish brown stain into the courser features of the wood, then an intense brilliant yellow staining. Over this a reddish somewhat brownish colored glaze that, depending on lighting, sometimes dominiates but at other times lets the under colors shine through.

Die orange colour is what you see in the light in which it is presented in the Ashmolean. Just like this picture:

http://www.platetuning.org/Messiah2.jpg

When I first saw this, I was quite astonished.  I walked by it many times since, and always see the same orange. Also, when it hung next to the lady Blunt, one could see that it lacks these red pigments that the Blunt has. I also see those in the Archinto.  

What I remember from years ago, bad lighting, and being loaned a flashlight was that the "home color" was a bit  more yellow than the picture posted in post 11.  The varnish seemed first class, but not exciting (only MO, of course).  One thing I noticed was that where there is some shading from wear of hands on the back, the violin looked better,  and I thought one could see from that the violin turning nicely into what we're used to seeing if it became more worn.      

Die orange colour is what you see in the light in which it is presented in the Ashmolean. Just like this picture:

http://www.platetuning.org/Messiah2.jpg

Hah, that picture was stolen from my website! :angry:

Some photos of the Lady Blunt and the Messiah, side-by-side, on the Tarisio website:

http://tarisio.com/wp/2011/06/the-lady-blunt-and-messiah-together-again/

Some of us can not view images in certain threads when clicking on them, only tumb images are displayed. The url  redirect malicious code is also back on the server side

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329670-virus-alert-when-joining-to-forum/
http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329853-viewing-images-not-working-newer-uploaded-images/

Is there anyone who can view the images in this thread?

Maybe we could push a little together, so admin

Jeffrey sent an e-mail to admin yesterday too.

A little "color reality check".

Try to memorize the color of of some surface in your house (which you see every day), and then try to pick that color out of the samples in a paint store. Then paint a swatch of that color on the memorized surface, and notice how far off you were. :lol:

Just tried ! PERFECT match.