Maestronet Forums

Why sound post fit matters

actonern

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets get this thing to hit 31 and then stop. The question has been answered more than once by several eminent contributors. You just have to look for the answers between the goose shit. But then sorting pearls from goose shit is what life is all about. Here is another one. How is the question below related to varnish? 

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

.... sorting pearls from goose shit is what life is all about. 

Quite right.  Pearls never grew a single hill of beans.   ;)  :P

But yeah, the main points were covered on the first few pages.  The rest is just... soil enhancement.  Which is necessary.  To a point.  

• 3 years later...
On 12/24/2017 at 11:04 AM, chungviolins said:

Good fitting sound post makes the set up (or tonal adjustment) last longer.

If the post does'nt fit nicely, it will sound good for three days (some times three weeks ), then sounds go south.

KooYoung Chung

In my experience that is from posts having too little tension, or going too long with a short post.

5 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

In my experience that is from posts having too little tension, or going too long with a short post.

Jerry, please clarify for me?  What do you mean when you say "too long with a short post".  Does that mean that an instrument that goes too long with a short post will "lose it's voice" so to speak?   Thanks.

7 hours ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Jerry, please clarify for me?  What do you mean when you say "too long with a short post".  Does that mean that an instrument that goes too long with a short post will "lose it's voice" so to speak?   Thanks.

Yes.  If an instrument comes in and the post falls when the tension is off the strings, or the post is set outside the bridge foot, than the new post can be adjusted to feeling and sound great; after a short time (days to a few weeks depending on the instrument and RH) the instrument will drift back toward the way it felt and sounded that prompted the new post.  After adjustment, it will feel and sound great again, however, sometimes this will happen again over a longer period of time.  Eventually it will settle down to feeling and sounding great continuously if the RH remains consistent.  

FWIW, I do not believe they have voices, I prefer to think of them as working well or not for the player.  The more options we give the player the greater the palette.