Maestronet Forums

Why sound post fit matters

actonern

Creation has a Creator

Monarch Butterflies only live for a few weeks, must lay their eggs on milkweeds up north, and mate most of that time.

They lay their eggs up north, and then when the Fall comes, the eggs hatch, and the Monarchs fly South to Mexico.

There in Mexico is a valley that winters all the butterflies, where they all cling to the trees.

Now some scientists think that the butterflies not only make it back to the same valley in Mexico, but the same actual tree

their parents came from.   

All this never having been shown, or led the route, with a brain smaller than a nat.

Far more interesting than soundposts, and far more important, but then again the soundpost is the soul!

Violins have  Makers  .... some who can and some who can't fit posts.

Monarch's map to Mexico

"In an unparalleled marvel, the monarch's brain also automatically corrects for the sun's movement by tapping into an internal circadian clock, that instinctive conformity to the dawn-to-dusk cycle that shapes the rhythms of waking, sleeping and eating in animals."

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear ,I guess I was offering my wood to anyone who can answer the question of why geese like to fly at night, just to play on a cold day ,,,,for the Art of it so to speak  ,Not thinking you are running out, if that's what you thought I was thinking....I think... therefore ...??? and your welcome.

Nocturnal migration occurs because it provides a survival advantage over alternative migration strategies.  As Roger says, nocturnal migration is advantageous to species that can maximize foraging time and eneregy storage/replenishment can occur immediately before and after nocturnal flights.  Predator (raptors that utilize thermal soaring) evasion may also play a role.

Diurnal bird migration is advatageous with species with efficient energy gain after migratory flight when suitable stopover/foraging sites are located during flight, or if energy loss during diurnal flight is minimized by thermal soaring, or by fly-and-forage strategies.

Combined diurnal/nocturnal migration occurs when species migrate across regions of poor foraging potential.

Here is a good paper that discusses how species "know" when to migrate.

If I win for the most complete answer can I have one of your hold down clamps instead of wood? ;) 

-Jim

CIRCADIAN AND CIRCANNUAL PROGRAMMES IN AVIAN MIGRATION.pdf

Jim ...you bet!,I'll be happy to send one if you PM me your address, just for the effort.

I must admit that I phrased the question wrong, :wacko: sorry folks, it is not a why but rather a HOW..that is ,What is the mecanisim that allows Geese to navagate at night? .hint , sailors use one. Mind you I am not a scientist that studies geese (goosealagist).the study was originaly conducted with pigions and has been extended.

Don & Carl have said it ... or I thought Carl did but he's retracted!

Maximum contact at the ends without distorting the arching up or down - this should be the objective. Tonal enhancement should be carried out within those parameters (bearing in mind that small errors in the short term turn into big problems in the long term).

I believe the structural integrity of a given violin should be the first item on the agenda, sound enhancement comes second.

But that's speaking as someone with around 100 violins on the premises - people who own one violin perhaps don't have the luxury of thinking that way.

Well, 30 posts, for me, were not in vain. I just realized that if you fit a post perfectly, then the strings are tightened and tension is placed on the bridge foot, the foot will compress a bit. Seems like this would try to rock the wood to the forward edge of the soundpost. 

Well, 30 posts, for me, were not in vain. I just realized that if you fit a post perfectly, then the strings are tightened and tension is placed on the bridge foot, the foot will compress a bit. Seems like this would try to rock the wood to the forward edge of the soundpost. 

You're probably right.  I love it..maybe 30 more posts are in order to figure out how to avoid it.  lol.