That Looks great Barry.....I love it, I still think the best sounding fiddle to date is the one that I got from you with the imbuia back and sides with the red spruce top. It just keeps getting better and better. It is a tone machine....!! This one has about three years of heavy duty playing on it. Everybody that plays it comments on the response being so quick and the tone being so rich and expressive. Cant wait to get back down there and hang out some. All the best from NC,

David Blackmon

That Looks great Barry.....I love it, I still think the best sounding fiddle to date is the one that I got from you with the imbuia back and sides with the red spruce top. It just keeps getting better and better. It is a tone machine....!! This one has about three years of heavy duty playing on it. Everybody that plays it comments on the response being so quick and the tone being so rich and expressive. Cant wait to get back down there and hang out some. All the best from NC,

David Blackmon

Customer reviews don't come much finer than that...If you don't Get what I'm saying... Google Dave Blackmon

I just bent the ribs as normal...on a hot iron. They really bent fairly easy.

Thanks David! The only real issue for using Ebony is the weight. Most players who have played this violin said it was heavier than they were used to but no so heavy it would stop them from buying it. I few said it was too heavy for them.

There might perhaps be some cultural differences between classical musicians and fiddlers that enters into the question.  Classical violinists don't usually stray too far from the standard 4-string violin, but violists might.  Fiddlers can play whatever the hell they feel like.

Whether it's called a 5-string viola or 5-string violin depends on body size and scale length, I'd guess.  5 string violins tend to be made larger than normal ones, and 5-string violas I would guess tend to be smaller and have shorter scale lengths than your average viola... so perhaps we need to just call the 5-string things something else, like a violan, since they are somewhere between, with the exact rendition depending on the maker and client.

For me the choice of the violin approach is the voicing. Going the violin route preserves the sweetness and sparkle of the "E" srting but still having the balanced growl of the "C" string. There is a fine line between the "C" string having power and balance with the other string and just quacking like a duck.