Sign in to follow this  
joerobson

What...else...do you build?

Reading Stephen Faulk's thread on the Contemporary Makers' Forum got me thinking.  Many makers ...particularly a lot of the makers in Europe that I work with...make a variety of instruments.  Do you build other instruments...outside of the violin family?  Do you choose not to build other instruments?  Do you just build violin..viola...cello...bass? 

Why?

on we go,

Joe

Ebonics in the violin world...

The occasional uke, lap dulcimer, banjo and mandolin, but only for friends, and not for sale...I learned to make a dulcimer at Berea College when I was a student there, and found Harry Ramey, who had learned from Willis Gault in the 30's and 40's. 

I build guitars, mandolins, ukeleles, sleds, biscuit trays, or Dewey Decimal library card cabinets, if the down payment clears!

Joking aside, a guitar every year or two clears the stiffness out of fiddle building. Restoration serves the same purpose-- you have to innovate and improvise now and then, to learn what you know.

The first stringed instrument I built was a harp. And I find making an occasional vielle (or other non-standard fiddle) helps, as Christopher said, to clear the stiffness out. Building something a little less hemmed in by rules and standards becomes both relaxing and invigorating. 

I learned to work wood properly with a luthier in the Azores, he made "Violas da Terra" primarily as well as did vast repair work on anything string related with great skill (very clean bridge work on violins and even cellos, I still have his bridge on my 3/4 and practice fiddle as nothing can be improved). I've made about six Violas da terra as well as an azorean "cavaquinho" uke under his supervision and direction :)

I might just get back to making those for fun while I wait for my seminars to begin, would be a nice to build something simple without all the restrictions a violin imposes :) They sound really good also and are a joy to build!

The first thing I made was a guitar (not very good) 42 years ago.  A few hammered dulcimers 30 years ago.  Now violins and violas seem to be quite enough to occupy my time, aside from non-instrument odds and ends.  Someday I might get around to building another guitar with the Brazillian rosewood back/sides I bought 40 years ago, if the Feds don't take it away from me.

Can I re-type the name of this thread???

Jeffery..please help!

Not Jeffey but... Joe click on "edit" in the the very first post, then click on "use full editor", there you should be able to change it. 

Jezzupe builds great guitars  ---- and "wild" instruments for mad and madder customers (myself included). ---hats off for having the courage to do it.

Baldrick.jpg

well, besides instruments {thank you Carlo} I build, floors, stairs, cabinets, make doors, windows, sheetrock walls, {smooth and textured} plaster walls, house framing and additions, decks, arbors, exterior paths with drainage, concrete patios and additions, tile, stone, roofing{flat,pitched,asphalt,slate foam core, with vented chutes}, fences {wire, wood} the occasional shed and other..."things"...most of which do not sound good when bowed, but generally have a nice tone when smacked with a hammer :D

The first instruments I ever made were panpipes and other flutes.  Mostly I have made ornate portable furniture, gunstocks, and accessories for re-enactors.

Well I only make violins.viola and celli. But this thread inspired me to dust off the only guitar I ever made. I was only an 18/19 yr old kid at the time and I had no money. I sawed the front, back plates and ribs out by hand. The only things I didn't make were the machine heads, frets and strings. I cut all the pearl from collected shells. With the arrogance of youth I set out to make it as some kind of hybrid between a Torres and an early Martin! And that's what it is, 'neither fish nor fowl' !...But It's held up well over the years and I can't really remember enough to make another as it was nearly 3 decades ago.  It almost feels as if It was made by someone else these days...Time for a clean and some new strings I think....

post-23531-0-63515100-1386522098_thumb.jpg

post-23531-0-94713900-1386522124_thumb.jpg

post-23531-0-89847900-1386522169_thumb.jpg

post-23531-0-75361700-1386522205_thumb.jpg

post-23531-0-28247600-1386522245_thumb.jpg

Well I only make violins.viola and celli. But this thread inspired me to dust off the only guitar I ever made. I was only an 18/19 yr old kid at the time and I had no money. I sawed the front, back plates and ribs out by hand. The only things I didn't make were the machine heads, frets and strings. I cut all the pearl from collected shells. With the arrogance of youth I set out to make it as some kind of hybrid between a Torres and an early Martin! And that's what it is, 'neither fish nor fowl' !...But It's held up well over the years and I can't really remember enough to make another as it was nearly 3 decades ago.  It almost feels as if It was made by someone else these days...Time for a clean and some new strings I think....

Wow, really nice, as I would expect

I built a theorbo this year for a friend of mine who would like to learn to play it. This was my first instrument in the lute family, but I will certainly make more of them. It's so different from violin building that it may have a relaxing effect after a couple of violins or violas. Violin making is really a carving thing, my most used tools are gouges and scrapers. With lutes, the most used tools are more the plane and chisel. Plus, you don't have the pain/strain to carve hollow maple back!

AND  then there is the most delightful experience with cutting the rosette. Just put a good CD on, prepare a glass of good red wine and you're ready to go!

One other thing I like about lutes is that you don't have the same issue and the same doubts about setting-up and sound adjustment, particularly the endless quest after the best soundpost fit and position. Once a lute is built, you can't do much to alter things, but that also meens that you don't have to (and musicians/customers won't ask you to do it).

post-23716-0-47105800-1386531410_thumb.jpg

post-23716-0-99398300-1386531444_thumb.jpg

But this thread inspired me to dust off the only guitar I ever made. I was only an 18/19 yr old kid at the time and I had no money.

There is no way on earth I'm going to post any photos of my first (and only) guitar, which I made at about the same age, after seeing that one.

Reading Stephen Faulk's thread on the Contemporary Makers' Forum got me thinking.  Many makers ...particularly a lot of the makers in Europe that I work with...make a variety of instruments.  Do you build other instruments...outside of the violin family?  Do you choose not to build other instruments?  Do you just build violin..viola...cello...bass? 

Why?

on we go,

Aside from violin, violas and cellos, I mostly build "custom" motor vehicles. It's kind of funny how the learning from that has contributed to fiddlemaking. And it's a bit odd how many successful fiddle and bow makers and experts have been motorheads, including the Hills. Maybe Melvin will comment.

recently I've built rustic furniture, various items for the garden such as trellises, hot caps etc. I've helped build harpsichordsand clavichords. I repair washing machines, refrigerators, dish washers, clothes criers, faucets, house painting and I've built a chicken coop.

Oded

post-95-0-88673600-1386536529_thumb.jpg

Besides music, I do all kinds of things, mostly old fashioned.  A lot of what I do is for museum displays.

Here’s a few images... stuff not in museums.

Make furniture: clock.

Folk art: 2 paintings, oil on board.

Furniture repair: desk lid, escutcheons, etc.  Also, the table with the flute only had one leg when I got it.

Kid’s toys: tuck comb doll.  Interestingly, these were made in huge quantities in Germany, c. 1820-1830, and imported to the U.S.  Sound familiar.

post-35343-0-03866500-1386537944_thumb.jpg

post-35343-0-92352100-1386537963_thumb.jpg

post-35343-0-35541500-1386537976_thumb.jpg

post-35343-0-89219100-1386537990_thumb.jpg