Sign in to follow this  
DarylG

Daryl Griffith's Bench

Daryl now that IS a good one!  Tell the missus that you were so dialed in to Valentine's day you got the vapours and missed a step.

Extra lovin, all 'round!

E

Beautiful Daryl. I love the texture on the top. Is that your amber varnish? 

Thanks Chris! The ground is a mix of my amber varnish and Joe Robson's balsam ground varnish along with a colorless transparent pigment I made as a filler. The colored varnish is Eugene Holtier's brown varnish with a small amount of homemade walnut and madder pigments and the tiniest amount of phthalo blue. After some alcohol shading and patina I did an extremely thinned down clear coat that shined the varnish back up without adding any apparent thickness. This was done as an alternative to french polishing. 

Great looking fiddle. I love that it's not just clean, but has a classy personality.

Thanks Tets! I've been trying to move towards a more organic and natural look. I did some full blown antiquing on a Chinese white violin and it was quite liberating and I realized that I hadn't been using the varnish to its full potential. 

And thanks to everyone for all the nice comments. I'm always a bit uncomfortable with receiving compliments but I do appreciate them very much. Cheers,

Very nice, indeed.

Did you apply a little patina and subtle shading like the previous fiddle? Is that your standard  finishing method?

Thanks Tets! Yes, there is some patina and shading. It's more subtle on this violin but I still think it helps to soften the look a little, give some dimension and highlight some of the texture. It's what I've been doing lately but ultimately I'd like to get more into antiquing.