Sign in to follow this  
DarylG

Daryl Griffith's Bench

Hi all,

Here are some photos of my latest violin. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out, especially with the sound. There's always room for improvement so I'm open to critiques. Cheers,

post-4365-0-38471100-1385908175_thumb.jpgpost-4365-0-92801500-1385908176_thumb.jpgpost-4365-0-97792500-1385908177_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the nice comments! The varnish is a home-made amber varnish that is colored primarily with madder pigments. The ground was inspired by Roger Hargrave's bass thread and is the result of three weeks of tanning, a colored stain, and a gypsum mineral ground. I added a few more photos including one taken after the ground. Cheers,

post-4365-0-01316100-1385935219_thumb.jpg

post-4365-0-80207500-1385935220_thumb.jpg

post-4365-0-38669800-1385935316_thumb.jpg

Can you say what kind of colored stain? I know what three weeks of sun looks like...your wood color after the stain is really nice.

Could you post a shot of the front after the stain was applied?

-Thanks

Sorry Ernie, I don’t have a photo of the front after the stain. The stain itself is very much a work in progress and I'd prefer to leave it at that for now. 

Thanks Tets, this is the first time using this gypsum ground. The results are more evolutionary than revolutionary but I like it and will continue on this path.

Inspired by Melvin and David's work, I put a heel spline in my latest neck. Made a jig to hold the neck and cut the slot on a table saw. Worked well.

post-4365-0-96867800-1391793179_thumb.jpgpost-4365-0-25050300-1391793190_thumb.jpg

To help stabilize the heel and thus the fingerboard projection. See here for David's article

To help stabilize the heel and thus the fingerboard projection. See here for David's article

Question for David and/or others, now that I have digested the tasty, substantial snack that is David's Trade Secrets article:

Any time we stablize/reinforce one part of the instrument, does that affect the distribution of tension among the other parts?  Breaking with convention that requires a decent interval for the sensei to respond, the physics-challenged student speculates: My guess is that all reinforcements are not created equal, e.g. they all have more or less impact on that redistribution, particularly  when the materials used for the reinforcement and their relationship to grain direction are considered.