Sign in to follow this  
Ernest Martel

Tapped Out...

Not sure how to approach this since my original thought doesn't really apply to the Pegbox...I'm off the pain killers, first.

Is there any place left on the earth which has not seen or affected by worldwide media reports?

Before I enlisted in the US Army I read a book about homesteading the last free land in Alaska. While stationed in my last tour in West Germany I contacted the Alaska authorities and started making plans and buying supplies.

Long story short...didn't happen...neither did my lifelong plan to walk the entire length of the Appalachian trail with my Army buddy.

My question is how many places are left in the world that are really off the grid?

Hell, Vancouver Island used to be a haven for hippie squatters...try that these days...

World's changing and I can't keep up...where's it headed? Seems MN is my last frontier. A place to forget everything and just carve in the dark...is that weird man?

My Doc said that my vitamin D level was extremely low and recommended a supplement to aid in healing the  bone graft...I wonder if a few black lights and some day-glow posters in the shop would help, along with some vintage vinyl on the Technics 1200...

I can imagine being homeless again and building violins under a secluded interstate bridge somewhere...low over head. What would be the absolute essential tools needed to build that I could carry on my back?...Kinda like homesteading.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/zaatari-camp--syria--how-electricity-provides-a-slice-of-normal-life-for-refugees---and-a-link-to-home-113519859.html#SM5qqzV

Not sure how to approach this since my original thought doesn't really apply to the Pegbox...I'm off the pain killers, first.

Is there any place left on the earth which has not seen or affected by worldwide media reports?

Before I enlisted in the US Army I read a book about homesteading the last free land in Alaska. While stationed in my last tour in West Germany I contacted the Alaska authorities and started making plans and buying supplies.

Long story short...didn't happen...neither did my lifelong plan to walk the entire length of the Appalachian trail with my Army buddy.

My question is how many places are left in the world that are really off the grid?

Hell, Vancouver Island used to be a haven for hippie squatters...try that these days...

World's changing and I can't keep up...where's it headed? Seems MN is the last frontier. A place to forget everything and just carve in the dark...that's weird man.

I can imagine being homeless again and building violins under a secluded interstate bridge somewhere...low over head. What would be the absolute essential tools needed to build that I could carry on my back?...Kinda like homesteading.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/zaatari-camp--syria--how-electricity-provides-a-slice-of-normal-life-for-refugees---and-a-link-to-home-113519859.html#SM5qqzV

My dogs help me. 

post-44223-0-42092000-1383790157_thumb.jpeg

Yes Ernie I hear you, it seem that 1984 is here and happening, the computer thing, is great for few  who do research and have so much info in our hands, it's great for a majority who uses it for communication and leisure, and horrible because of the control freaks of the world. The long ago implanted mentality that we "need" government to control us makes most follow the drawn path. we are shown a false reality where we believe that becoming successful, rich and so on we will have a good life, nothing further from the truth, that only brings preoccupation, more work, less time with the loved ones etc. The control freaks (read parasites) who we support even blinder, for they can not control their spouses, their children or their pets but think they can change the world for better and international bulling becomes the norm. 

I have been lucky and had a decent life up to now, working hard at making it better every day, and the only path that has been solid has been the path to simplicity.  The best years of my life where the ones I spent in wild areas, I had to go pretty far and in the not so protected anchorages where most are afraid to anchor, no big deal, but the more protected ones are taken by civilization. But I had a problem, a boat to take care of, clothes to wear, food in the refrigerator, while my neighbors, frigates, brown boobies, herons, fish, dolphins, howler monkey etc. needed none of that and had no worries when the high wind arrived. I can not reach their state of freedom, I have thousands of years of civilization on my back, so I have to find a happy medium, in my case it meant a smaller boat (the reason for my 2 year refit now behind me) and the search for manners to live a simpler life. One very good thing about going to places like these is that the humans who may be neighbors are there for the same reasons (99%) and are immediate good buddies.

For years I have appreciated and read about the nomads in Siberia and other places around the world, (these are cool picts to look at) a few years ago wife and I started reading about the Mongolian and Khazak-Mongolian nomads, they have an interesting mix of nature and thousands of years of culture, their tents are decorated with finer objects than most houses of the rich, but made by themselves, so are their clothes, finer than an Armani suit, and lasts much longer also. Mongolia is the largest wild area in the planet, larger than the Amazon.

Kazakistan, northern Iran, parts of Persia, all have some nice paradises (paradise in my mind is where humans have not had a hand in nature), the area Bill mentioned, Patagonia, and many Pacific Islands, and the place where Genesis is still happening Kamtchatka, now that is a place I must see before I die, also the Kuril islands, the disputed Russia/Japan territory, luckily while the morons in high offices ruin their lives and their families and fight for stupidities the animals are the ones in control of that area. And there is always planet Water, where we can just raise anchor when they bother us, my Iranian friend bought a boat for U$ 2.500 and is happily living aboard with his french girlfriend and an american flag.  :)

The story of the lone samurai Miyamoto Musashi (1584 -1645) who is said to have traveled with his clothes and a small bag only is one that influenced me a lot, (simplicity of life, not the fighting) of course it's different clothing technology and a different world.

Now can one go and live in places like this? Where there is a will there is a way. The hardest part is the decision. I wish you all the luck!!!!!!!!

Ernie, I saw this before I checked my blog, and really don't know what to say, just as you didn't .  I just had a dream last night, and I was telling this guy, who I assumed was the teacher, that I knew how to talk to people about things, but feelings threw me off.  I guess that's what men are known for.  He didn't give me any answers, just more tough, emotional questions.  Go figure.

I don't watch or read any news, but I do see u-tube videos that explain the end of the world, in 30 different scenarios.  It doesn't bother me.  Some of it might happen, most of it won't.  I can't do anything about any of it, so why worry about it.  Worry and fear drive many, hope and love would be a better route.  I don't know what you're going through, but if you want to talk, pm me.

Ken

Yes Ernie,
I may have this entirely wrong, if so I'm sorry, just ignore this post, cool?

Off the pain killers? Ha! Been there done that.

There are many of us who have been through the ringer in life, through the turnstyle, over the hump, or put through whatever... oh well, I suppose I could go on and on forever with the stupid similes, but the truth is right there - many of us have been there, and have decided to go ahed and live through it - even though the life we thought we'd be living, or what we thought we'd be doing, isn't exactly what we have wound up with.
I used to have a great job in my chosen field of Graphic Arts - living the "golden life" in Southern California, on the beach in Redondo (Redondo Beach that is) until my kidneys failed back in 1987, which came very close to killing me (polycystic kidney disease) and I had to start dialyzing every other day, then, a few years later, I had a failed kidney transplant (which nearly killed me again - four months in the hospital this time.) Then, of course - back to dialysis... In fact many different things have happened.
Then, of course, finally, a stroke last year...
Tell me when the fun ends?
it's been twenty six years now, on the machine every other day, and here I am.
It's not a life I would have chosen - but there's only one alternative - and of course it's death...

- and I have had friends who have decided to take themselves off the machine, and a week later, they had simply died. Oh well

I used to be a surfer in Southern California. I used to be a bona fide long haired hippie. I used to be a lot of things I can't be now. such is life.
I can tell you that sometimes life doesn't give us something easy to deal with - but what choice do we have? we either suck it up, or we go somewhere else. Yes - it can often be a fight.
Maybe we don't really want to fight, but how many options are there?
And very often, we can get tested waaaaaay beyond what is usual or what we want. Oh well, are we going to go through it or not?
Yeah, I believe we can and that we can do well regardless.
Good luck to you, and much wishes that everything will turn out well around you and for you. I wish you were here in New Mexico - we'd talk in person

ct
(Like I say, if i have mistaken what you're posting about - just ignore this.)

Wow...very cool posts...I have to stop putting my thoughts down here on MN when it  doesn't pertain to stringed instruments.

I'm not in dire straights...just bored to death and maybe a little bummed that I can't do as much as I'd like. It's nice to know that there are still untouched places left on earth. You're a lucky man Carlo to be able to see all you do. I really enjoy the photos you post.

Craig, you are one tough SOB to keep going after all your health issues...I know there are some very talented homeless people out there that keep going too. Some give in, some don't. Thanks for the replies. I actually got up early and was going to delete this thread but it's too late now. Jeffrey feel free to delete as this thread is unrelated. I'd get out more but I'm still not suppose to drive a car. On it goes...:)

Without going into specifics like Craig did (most inspirationally), been there, done that, learned and survived.  Anyone who's gotten to the age most of us on here are in the current world without getting one's posterior shot full of Shakespeare's "slings and arrows" must have been supernaturally lucky.  I recommend modern antidepressants to those who need them, as well as the study of philosophy, and a sustaining belief.

On wilderness, as the sheep have flocked to the cities, lots (PI) of rural land has become available, often at reasonable prices, for those inclined to homestead.  I live in bucolic seclusion, with no hassles within 50 miles of a major city, and many of the acreages around mine are vacant.  Look around your own geographic backyard and you may find your private Arcadia just around the corner (and up an unpaved road :lol: ).

MN is a community,and it does matter why we do the work we do,an often un-examined aspect of violin making...

S.African Artist/Music man  Johnny Clegg   " It's a cruel crazy beautiful world" .... 

Also a crucial undeserved idea is that of giving up ...losing gracefully and this action can open channels in the work ... Bob Dylan wrote like a rolling stone only after "retireing" and throwing in the towel. in other words your feelings are on par with many of the great creatives in the world ,your in good company... :) 

you can judge where your at by looking at the people that surround you. 

My shop.  No phone, no TV, no radio.  Stereo, yes.  When I'm in there, it might as well be 100 miles back in the woods of Alaska, and it helps with my hermit-like leanings.  The difference is, I can pop down to the supermarket if I run out of food (well, with my wife around, that's never an issue), or go down the street to the doctor if the old bod neeeds some repairs (speaking of which... left hand carpal tunnel surgery in 6 days). 

Yes, there are a lot of things I used to do that are now out of the question, physically and practically, and it's pretty depressing living in a degenerating body.  On top of that, constant pain (even the dull type) can do some funny things to your mind.  I know that I was capable of doing plenty of things after my right hand surgery 3 months ago, but I just didn't feel like doing anything other than hiding out somewhere until everything got completely better.  It did, and life was good again.  Hopefully you will see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.  I see another dark tunnel (carpal type) coming up, but at least I know it's fairly short and will be out on the other side soon.

...and then there is the wilderness that is Canada to consider. Sometimes a change can work wonders...

That's why I called MN the last frontier...I don't like taking pills or drugs anymore it does funny things to the mind. This time of the year seems to get to me every year... luckily this year is season two of "Moonshiners and The Amish Mafia"... :) that always cheers me up.

I blew my chances decades ago...Canada won't have me, dang it...

Seriously Thank you all for the replies...it really touched me to know their are real people still out there despite the world going down the toilet. I would very much like to meet all of you someday.

I am sure that you Ernie are not the only one feeling tapped out.

I would like to point out that the persom who made Gallup’s list of the “Ten Most Admired Men in the World” 56 times since 1955, will be talking to those 'tapped out' tonight at 7pm on FoxNews and TBN among other s as well.

Maestronet is more than talk about how to make a violin, it is a community and we all need to strive to help one another in ways more than just those dealing with violins.

So if you want to make a better violin, then maybe making a better violin maker is the way to go about it.

“Off-grid” is a state of mind, not a place.  Here’s a start.

post-35343-0-01733300-1383853869_thumb.jpg

“Off-grid” is a state of mind, not a place.

Don't see that when I look at the animals in the zoo...I get the point and agree. Reality TV? I don't watch TV really at all or the news. I see the headlines when I open my emails. What's going on in the world, I haven't a clue but once in awhile I'll watch the news and it is always the same. The anchors are actors with a worldwide audience. Same reason I don't follow politics. When I see reality TV it's just too much...Just when you think it can't get anymore ridiculous...big money at work again.

I have enjoyed a few of them. Gene Simmons was a fun one to watch too but none of them can compare to a good book. I'm picky with books but some have had impact to this day. I'm much more connected to singer/songwriting and music composition. I'm none of the above but it hits home more...Probably my education or lack of. I respect those who have the gift of word arrangement and the ability to project it through music. It is a very powerful gift.

-Edit

It is a state of mind...to quote Dale Carnegie

“Two men looked out from prison bars,

One saw the mud, the other saw stars.”