Sign in to follow this  
Joe Swenson

Help with stubborn wolf tone on Kay Cello

The Krentz that Roger Hargrave mentioned above has worked like a charm on a friend's cello - took a "machine-gun" wolf and made it vanish.

As someone mentioned a wolf note on one string is unusual, and I'm pretty sure you checked to make sure the string is not close to the fingerboard causing it to be near the board elsewhere.   fred

Hi Fred,

String height is good.  New bridge too.  Its actually tries to "wolf" on all the E's.  It'sjust the high E on the A which is the most predominant.

The others don't resonate as badly since they don't cause as wild vibrations on the upper bout on the treble side which seems to be the problem area on my cello. 

Cheers,

Joe

There is a big discussion about the new Krentz Wolf Eliminator.

Here are some photos of this device..

A steel washer attached to my cello top with double stick tape (on the inside of course) is the solution for my cello.

[attachment=29168:IMG_8899-2.jpg]

But I opted not to go through with it as the sound post adjustment had a good enough effect to reduce the problem.

Cheers,

Joe

post-43707-0-25248600-1387245278_thumb.jpg

A steel washer attached to my cello top with double stick tape (on the inside of course) is the solution for my cello.

[attachment=29168:IMG_8899-2.jpg]

But I opted not to go through with it as the sound post adjustment had a good enough effect to reduce the problem.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe... your thumbnail shows what appears to be an adhesive tape on the outside of your cello.... be aware that adhesives can bleed into the varnish... and leave an undesireable spot.....especially on oil varnishes (not to mention it can also pull chunks of varnish off)... that is why the idea of the neodymium magnets works so well. and to prevent scratching as you move it around, I glue a thin fine leather liner onto the part of the magnet that touches the varnish.

Cheers, Mat

Joe... your thumbnail shows what appears to be an adhesive tape on the outside of your cello.... be aware that adhesives can bleed into the varnish... and leave an undesireable spot.....especially on oil varnishes (not to mention it can also pull chunks of varnish off)... that is why the idea of the neodymium magnets works so well. and to prevent scratching as you move it around, I glue a thin fine leather liner onto the part of the magnet that touches the varnish.

Cheers, Mat

Hi Mat,

Not to worry this was double stick tape with the backing still on.  It's VERY messy and not easily removed and was going to go on the inside with the washer attached.  This was just to illustrate the placement of the weight. I used blue painters tape to test the weight when I was finding the hot spot, which comes off cleanly. I ended up deciding I didn't want something taped inside my cello.   :rolleyes: 

Cheers,

Joe