Maestronet Forums

Italian perhaps?

GoldenPlate

Ah, he's a good fiddler.  But it sounds nasal.  I'm sure it's all in the setup, but, I still don't know with the bad setup.  IMHO.

But what I really can't stand is the bid history.. sigh*  There will never be 23 bids at a thousand dollars after a day and a half of a 7-day listing on eBay.  Not even with really fine violins.  Not in 100 dollar incruments either:

g***e  :ph34r:  bids $201, $301, $401, $501  -  All within 2 minutes!!  There's a guy with some serious $$$ to blow.

Then a***i  :ph34r: boosts it another $400 within 2.5 minutes the next day.  My, oh, my, we got some fighters here.

...................... What can you do?

How about this one?

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&_trksid=p2047675.l2565&rt=nc&item=331030794578

IMHO, it's yet another older Saxon with all of the hallmarks of the species, the corners in particular, and whatever the marital status of the grafted scroll, it shows a delta at the bottom of the center flute on the back.  The purfling and edgework is nearly identical to that on one that I have handy.  It's had some conspicuous work done, particularly on the pegbox, and signs of age and use, so I'd suspect .!850's to 1860's Markneukirchen as the origin.  Anybody have major problems with that summary? :lol: .

Sounds right to me.

On this forum... I see you calling the violin from

Scottish

American

Saxon

Klingenthal 

This opinions really show the legitimization of luthier or violin connoisseur evaluation. The best and brightest are not always right. However the substance of inequalities it what sets apart a true italian violin. I study violin all the time, from my knowledge this violin the body appears italian, but the scroll maybe unmarried. Lets talk like adults. I am willing. 

In my humble opinion, in this thread thus far, there has only been one realistic observation offered by one person who is actually qualified to make that observation.  I think the rest is an illustration of what happens on a discussion board, not in legitimate evaluation by qualified individuals (with respect, a lot of more casual observation or guessing; be it correct or incorrect).

...and I think you can take "Scottish" off the list.  If I'm not mistaken, that referred to Martin's origin, not the violin's. 

...and Anna... If I weren't the moderator, I might be tempted to make a wise-ass comment on the photo you offered earlier in the thread and say something like "Nice rack!".   :)

On this forum... I see you calling the violin from

Scottish

American

Saxon

Klingenthal 

This opinions really show the legitimization of luthier or violin connoisseur evaluation. The best and brightest are not always right. However the substance of inequalities it what sets apart a true italian violin. I study violin all the time, from my knowledge this violin the body appears italian, but the scroll maybe unmarried. Lets talk like adults. I am willing. 

Let's go over this for a minute.  "Scottish" only came from a comment that Carl made about Martin's picture, and has nothing to do with the OP violin, nor do Anna's antler comments and any answers to them.  CCM's "composite American" is simply not going to be a majority view.

As Klingenthal is in Saxony, that leaves only one geographical provenance being seriously advanced, and the reasons why, for me are as follows:

• The 2 piece lower bout, which usually rules out 19th. Century or earlier Mittenwald
  • The rib corners being nearly flush with the plate corner edges usually indicative of free-on-back rib garland construction

• The deflection of the rib corner centerlines usually indicative of free-on-back rib garland construction
  • Rib corner joins consonant with free-on-back rib garland construction
  • Edge work and purfling typical of the area

As a majority of the older violins available for sale on eBay in the US are Saxon of one period or another, that presumption plus the typically Saxon characteristics which I have outlined above makes a powerful case for Saxon origin of the OP violin.

If photos of the lining and block areas of the lower bout corners are available, I should like to see them.  Even with those being replaced, there may be some indication of the original construction.

The above represents my professional opinion as a dealer in Saxon "rubbish", without any qualifications whatsoever (PI) :lol:

In my humble opinion, in this thread thus far, there has only been one realistic observation offered by one person who is actually qualified to make that observation.  I think the rest is an illustration of what happens on a discussion board, not in legitimate evaluation by qualified individuals (with respect, a lot of more casual observation or guessing; be it correct or incorrect).

That's not fair, there were two realistic observations thus far on this thread.

OK ladies and gents.

Before the feathers go up, please re-read my comment in post #28.  Specifically: "In my humble opinion, in this thread thus far, there has only been one realistic observation offered by one person who is actually qualified to make that observation."

This was in response to the lister's sentence: "This opinions really show the legitimization of luthier or violin connoisseur evaluation."  

Who are the connoisseurs to which he is referring?

I went on to say: "I think the rest is an illustration of what happens on a discussion board, not in legitimate evaluation by qualified individuals (with respect, a lot of more casual observation or guessing; be it correct or incorrect)."

My comment was not meant to limit response & participation, or to imply that other's opinions were correct or incorrect, but simply to point out the obvious "rhino head in the living room".

While I am aware that several here are in the business of dealing, I'm not aware that so many are in the actual business of evaluation or certification of property other than that owned by you or in your care... or have the clout & credentials to carry their opinions into the marketplace further than your own business.  If you do, and I'm not aware, great.  Though both can be accomplished by the same person, evaluation is a very different hat than that of a seller and carries it's own set of responsibilities, especially when pen is put to paper... and I want the OP to be keenly aware of how he collects and represents his outside opinions.

Edit: bcncello posted while I was writing...  Thank you.