Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Jacoby

Soundhole Layout Marks

Does anyone have photos they know of that show marks from ff holes being laid out on the instrument-- divider scratches or marking from ink (?), etc. I'm cycling between Sacconi and Andrew Dipper and what I understand of Denis and just drawing the things on freehand; by far my favorite.

First day of honest autumn today in Omaha, NE. It is cold and crisp and awfully nice.

I believe that Roger cited at least some instances of tracing pricks remaining around DG sound holes. 

This supports the notion of a template, at least by some makers at some times.  Though I think the template idea just delays the problem. Then how do you draw the template? 

Considering the great degree of variation and asymmetry in soundholes, I lean to the idea of earlier makers often or usually constructed them as you suggest.  I assume the constructions begin from prelocated and predrilled holes.

http://hanspluhar.com/bvmafhole25.html

This is a close up of the inside on a Rogeri Cello.

One can see a few things:

The basic layout was made on the inside.

There is a line showing the body stop.

One divider marking for the outside nick.

A couple of tries laying out the bottom eye and wing showing a bigger circle around the one that was cut in the end. The actual is also lower.

Two scribe lines showing the direction of the wing which have been discarded. The one that was used is lower.

Maybe there are more things I have not seen?

Best, Hans

There are several Guarneri in the Biddulph book that have noticeable marks on the exterior across the upper wings:  the Panette and Vieuxtemps, treble sides; the Sauret, bass side; and the Kemp, bass AND treble sides.  The marks seem too similar to be accidental.  They seem to be compass marks and seem to relate to centering the upper lobes.