Maestronet Forums

My Ebay Violin

GoldenPlate

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool!  And what kind of violin are you currently playing this music on?  (That's my last nosy question...I promise (well...I promise to try... :rolleyes: )}

I'm just starting to work on a little Bartok piece...might be a life-long effort at the rate I'm going... <_<

I now want to buy a "new" cheap old European factory violin thanks to this thread just to nuke my ebay virginity and get a violin via mail, I might just be the only "new" comer who hasn't bought anything of the sort off ebay...That has to be fixed and I blame all of maestronet for this new found "need".

Part of making is restoring and I have to start actually repairing things other than heirloom furniture at some time , besides, I'm out of test patients to treat and I'm sick of theory only LOL. 

No self respecting pseudo self taught luthier hasn't got at least 1 shed full of old European factory fiddles.... I need to start "collecting" LOL Anyone donating or selling the stuff on here is more than free to PM me XD 

I’m getting a litte confused; Any talk of a”cheap factory violin” in conjunction with the OP violin is ignorant rambling. It is a handcrafted Saxon violin from the early 19th C, albiet a little the worse for wear. I wrote (post #8) ”It has a label, which I would only want to believe in conjunction with a stamp in the middle of the inside back” I sort of distrust the label atm. but would not be shocked to be proved wrong.  Caspace should wait until it comes, and only THEN work out what it is, and what he may best wish to do with it

I’m getting a litte confused; Any talk of a”cheap factory violin” in conjunction with the OP violin is ignorant rambling. It is a handcrafted Saxon violin from the early 19th C, albiet a little the worse for wear. I wrote (post #8) ”It has a label, which I would only want to believe in conjunction with a stamp in the middle of the inside back” I sort of distrust the label atm. but would not be shocked to be proved wrong.  Caspace should wait until it comes, and only THEN work out what it is, and what he may best wish to do with it

Caspace's wallet is much more generous than mine is at the moment so for the thrill of having a violin mailed to me means without a shadow of a doubt that it would have to be seriously cheap, it would have to be "factory" made and it would most certainly would not have any sort of pedigree for the price I'm willing to pay. As respectable as the op's violin Is (and I really do think it is respectable), my idea of an ebay bought violin doesnt essentialy have to be this respectable and I am not, nor did I mean to compare this violin with anything less dignified than it actually is as I personally do not , nor have I ever meant to push the idea the OP violin is "cheap". I'm actually one of the folks who would like to see caspace happy once it arrived and willing to restore what he deems necessary because it meant the violin is worth rehabilitating! Violins like his which have stories behind them that make it above the cut in my book in terms of romanticism, and I value that above name value!

I might now want to nuke the ebay violin virginity but I will not nuke my wallet to get it and violins such as his tend to end up going way over the budget I established for a mail order thrill XD Portuguese luthiers are backed up with work like it's no tomorrow and I wouldn't dream of doing anything myself to such an instrument like caspace without supervision, the poor thing has had enough mistreatment and I sure as hell wouldn't mistreat it further!

PS- Jacob, have anything like the above mentioned you're willing to part with, I promise Ill get some life into it! Ill pay you 20 bucks for you to open an ebay account and sell it to me for another 20 bucks (if the 20 buck bribe isn't good enough for you to open an ebay account I an null the offer and paypall you instead!).... I'll even let you put 10 bucks above the actual shipping cost which means roughly 120 bucks total out of which 50 bucks (or 30 if you refuse the ebay bribe)  are pure profit! XD

Out of curiosity, why would the edges of the OP violin have been sanded down or reworked (I think someone mentioned something about this on here) when it was revarnished? If caspace does theoretically decide to have the violin reworked, is there anything that can be done to correct this?

I now want to buy a "new" cheap old European factory violin thanks to this thread just to nuke my ebay virginity and get a violin via mail, I might just be the only "new" comer who hasn't bought anything of the sort off ebay...

Nope, you're not the only one. Being asked by friends and others what  their cheap junk is worth is depressing enough - I claim ignorance most of the time even if it screams " beat - up low quality Saxon or student fiddle".

To have to look at scores of pictures of that stuff hoping to find something decent: others may have the patience but not me.

But some of the discussions here on the better quality fiddles are very enlightening. 

Nope, you're not the only one. Being asked by friends and others what  their cheap junk is worth is depressing enough - I claim ignorance most of the time even if it screams " beat - up low quality Saxon or student fiddle".

To have to look at scores of pictures of that stuff hoping to find something decent: others may have the patience but not me.

But some of the discussions on the better quality fiddles are very enlightening. 

I totally agree with you, it's a shame Portugal has a non existent old violin market of any sort as I would love to be able to phsyically check over and feel the instruments, we really have no other option but to use online venues to obtain acceptable new or Old instruments . Even considering I've been dropping standards to bare minimums and upped my theoretical budget, I end up "interested" in 2 to 3 violins (on average) a month on ebay. I've always wondered where people buy the old trade violins they resell and if that "place" might be a much better venue to use instead of ebay.

Unless some miracle happens with the ebay listings, I'm in no risk of aquiring anything.... Kind of sad really, I would absolutely love to have a respectable old factory violin mail ordered to me without breaking the bank.

I posted a rather longer piece on early 19th C. Markneukirchen fiddles, which would be just as relavant here, as it is in the Hound/Hamm thread, where I posted it:

Post #8 here: 

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/329064-a-well-cured-saxon-hamm-maybe-so/#entry601191

Thank you much! :)

I am pleasantly surprised re. the varnish, which seems better than I previously thought. I don’t know if you restore yourself, or have to pay someone to do it for you. If the former, then it should keep you busy for a good long while. I have the experience with violins such as this, that they sound excelent when carefully restored, particularly when they retain the original carved bass bar.

Wow, this is much better as on the nasty EBay pictures! The varnish under the "over-coating" seems to be the original, and everything in a better condition as I expected.

The repairs could be done better, the fingerboard, saddle and so on, but I have to revise a lot of what I thought before.

How did the seller manage to produce ugly pictures of a nice violin?

I am pleasantly surprised re. the varnish, which seems better than I previously thought. I don’t know if you restore yourself, or have to pay someone to do it for you. If the former, then it should keep you busy for a good long while. I have the experience with violins such as this, that they sound excelent when carefully restored, particularly when they retain the original carved bass bar.

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I have to pay someone to fix it. I am quite certain the repair fee will be more expensive than what this violin actually worth.  :(