Sign in to follow this  
Rue

What resulted in this repair?

Just killing time...and looking at pictures (of what I'm now convinced can only be a brand new Chinese copy of a mass-produced cottage-industry German violin,,, :ph34r: )...and found this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/100-years-old-4-4-violin-Lab-S-SCARAMPELLA-1901-violon-geige-fiddle-/171140684540?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item27d8c79afc

What could have resulted in the accident that needed this kind of repair?  And...risking a very dumb question here :rolleyes: ...if you do this repair, wouldn't you want to be more symmetrical?  Or do you not concern yourself about aesthetics in this instance?

I’m sure he will correct me if i’m wrong, but I seem to remember Jeffrey telling us that the American terminus technicus for this “repair” is a “Brick”, which seems to sum it up for me.

LOL...well okay then...at least I can start to rely on my own opinion on what I think I'm seeing... :D

What you are seeing here, IMHO, is a combination of an upper block to back adhesion failure under tension and while being played with the haste (or questionable taste) of the repairer.  Note the obvious bass side rib repair close to where the edge of the upper block would be.  I'm getting a little experience with this particular type of repair right now :lol: ..

...What could have resulted in the accident that needed this kind of repair?...

The neck broke out.  The button remained glue to the neck and broke off the back.

That makes sense!  Didn't even think of that!  Thank you!

...er...but if it was a direct repair, why is the grain of the wood at at different angle?  Or did they put in a neck from some other violin?  Or was the neck worthwhile and they attached another body?

That makes sense!  Didn't even think of that!  Thank you!

...er...but if it was a direct repair, why is the grain of the wood at at different angle?  Or did they put in a neck from some other violin?  Or was the neck worthwhile and they attached another body?

The neck was probably fine, but the part of the back where the button is had to all be replaced.  If you look at the original center line below the patch, the original button was split and probably broke raggedly with cracks produced in the area replaced.  When the block turned loose, the rib stayed attached to the block and broke off at the crack line i referred to above, there's probably one on the other side but better hidden.  It wasn't just a neck dovetail failure. The repairer probably used a piece of a scrap back to make the patch, though why he used the angle he did is a mystery to me.  The replaced purfling and general finish shows that he wasn't a klutz.

If this is a '01 Scarampella it's odd to me that the belly doesn't show any of the heavy handedness and tool marks that he was known for before Massa joined him.

Doesn't the back show tool marks?  Seems to to my eye.  .

...why is the grain of the wood at at different angle?...

It is not at a different angle.  The grain of the repair wood runs parallel with the grain of the rest of back.

It is not at a different angle.  The grain of the repair wood runs parallel with the grain of the rest of back.

Must be my eyes then...it looks like it's about 10 degrees off at the bottom and more (30 degrees or so?) off at the top...at least from the right hand side.

I've seen some pretty spectacular repairs...so I was only curious as to how obvious this one was...and why that might be...

I see scratches but not the soft edged gouge marks he was known for.

Thank you much :)