Sign in to follow this  
joerobson

mondomusica 2013

It was sunny till sunday, then it started raining...

I didn't like the lightning at the new museum, and hated that one has to ask to be able to open one of the strad moulds/tools/templates drawers. Once open, the light in there is very good.

Dear Mr. Robson,

I didn't have time to visit the Museo del Violino, but I will try to go in the next days... It was closed on Monday, Sep. 30 (why so?). I hope I will be able to see the instruments from the Chi-Mei collection.

I have met many old friends in Mondomusica, and this is just the best part of it, as things go now. This edition was sincerely uninteresting in my opinion.

Many makers have decided to stay out, again for this year, and have started  "parallel" ("alternative"?) events:

The second, more "official" edition of "Stradivariazioni", in the House of Stradivari, Corso Garibaldi - those makers have started a cultural association under this name.

B. Carlson, B. Neumann and A. Pedota have started an "open day" exhibition from their own workshops; as it was during the 2012  Mondomusica edition, probably other makers did the same this year, but I'm not sure of it.

A violin- and bowmakers showroom in Palazzo Trecchi. I do not know much about it but there were many excellent bowmakers there. The participants were mostly from outside Italy, I think the only Italian was Emilio Slaviero but, I may be wrong.

Alternative events will be a trend for the next year, this is my impression, if things do not change inside the Mondomusica "decision-makers" group. If I wanted to dedicate to new making full-time, I think I would not choose to exhibit anyway, and many things make me think that moving to another country could be even better...

The trend of Mondomusica goes more and more towards the opening on each type of instruments (pianos, electric instruments, factory instruments, factory made white instruments and semi worked parts etc.).

I think it should be dedicated to high quality hand made instruments and accessories almost exclusively but apparently this is not a concern for the organizer of the fair.

For this reason serious cremonese makers are less and less present in the fair and if the trend will not change I think that will get worse in next years.

I have reported it several time to the organizers with no results and so, after four or five years of participation, from a couple of years I decided to stay out.

Under the circumstances, it is simply not the right place where to show and play high quality violins simply because there are no suitable conditions that allow a musician to appreciate the quality of a musical instrument.

I hope that things will change because I think that it could be a really important event for the violin making word, but I'm not so hopeful.

A real shame.

Davide

I never exhibit, but when i walked through the last 3 years before i confirm this with Davide. This year i was not. The question for the organizer in forfront is what kind of customers are coming and what they are looking for. I think they count lesser vsitors also, but tell allways just the opposite. We will see where the trend is going.

I think they count lesser vsitors also, but tell allways just the opposite.

As an example this year I went three times (one per day and with free tickets offered by exhibitors, of course :D ) and surely the organizers have counted three visitors, but in fact it's just one........

So, maybe, the total number of visitors may be divided by three.

Every year the same game, I'm tired...... <_<

Davide

Hello

This year was my first time there.

Some luthier friends told me that Mondomusica is falling down. They don`t know why but is an expensive travel from South America if the sample continues to decline. Its a pity

Tango

As an example this year I went three times (one per day and with free tickets offered by exhibitors, of course :D ) and surely the organizers have counted three visitors, but in fact it's just one........

So, maybe, the total number of visitors may be divided by three.

Every year the same game, I'm tired...... <_<

Davide

I adored Mondo Musica NYC.  I think you come off as snooty, IMHO.