Sign in to follow this  
Don Noon

Don Noon's bench

6 hours ago, HoGo said:

How long did it take to cut the back as shown?

The only thing I actually timed was the clearing off of the central area, as it was noisy and I left the shop until my timer went off.  The cutting took about 8 minutes per pass, and I took 4 passes.

Most of the time is taken in setting up and checking the results; the cutting goes pretty fast.  But even with all the setup, it's infinitely faster than I can go by hand (but maybe not faster than Burgess).

These were my first plates, so caution slowed things down, I think.  With more practice and less caution, I can probably wreck plates in a flash.

3 hours ago, scordatura said:

Fusion 360 only has loft. Rhino has curve network. 

If you loft using "rails" (as I did), I think the result is similar to the curve network.

18 minutes ago, Don Noon said:

If you loft using "rails" (as I did), I think the result is similar to the curve network.

I am going to do an A B comparison. My gut tells me that Rhino will have the edge on Fusion 360 when it comes to skinning from rails.

The most important on the curve network in Rhino is that it allows to create new surfaces with smooth transition to adjacent surfaces (and at two levels - tangency or curvature continuous). But still the result is VERY dependent on which curves you create for your network. Planning ahead is a must and sometimes you need few differing attempts to get it working.