Sign in to follow this  
Urban Luthier

Helen Michetschläger Video Profile

One of the best parts of being here is seeing the work of others. I came across this very fine profile of Helen Michetschläger's work on Vimeo. The whole story is lovely and there are particularly good segments on varnishing -- in fact the video is dedicated to the memory of Koen Padding.

The film maker, Eamon Urtone, deserves a call out too -- for producing a fine film. The video capture and production tools available today really do make it easier for young talent to tell compelling stories.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Chris

Just speculating -- I was wondering if this is the plaster of paris ground illustrated in Roger's blog -- when applied with water, it gives a white chalky look to the wood before before the varnish ground is rubbed in

Helen Michetschlager

classof77.jpg

"Standing from left to right:

Maurice Bouette, Joe Thrift, John Dilworth, James Rawes,Patrick Webster, Malcolm Siddal, Koen Padding, Anne Houssay, Loise Round, Dave "Paganini", Julie Reed, Roger Hargrave, Paul Weiss, Andrew Fairfax, Ron Thewlis, Brian Stone, Patrick Jowett, Gordon Stevenson, Bill, Glen Collins.

Sitting from left to right:
Brian Lisus, Lionel, Mervin Frost, John Johnston, Juliana Nicholson, Helen Michetschlager, Hans Johannsson"

Tribute to Koen Padding

Started by Roger Hargrave, Aug 15 2012 06:04 AM

'' I feel sorry for the folks who graduated the year after ''
hehe !!

From Helen :
''
 It's (homemade) casein but I'm not using it at present.  It's good for adding protection to the wood, but you can sometimes see a slight milkyness under the varnish. ''

i just watched the video again and, I'm really, really impressed with her varnishing. Her results look absolutely ideal to me. See especially the last 30s or so of the video. The filmmaker did a fine job of capturing the impact of her varnis.

'' I'm not completely fixed on this.  I still have some of Koen Padding's stuff left, so mainly I just use his sealer.  I also sometimes use Rosin Oil, as I like the reflectiveness under the varnish.  I think I'll be using that more when I run out of the Magister sealer.  Mixing it with oil varnish is a good idea, ''

Cheers to Helen !

i just watched the video again and, I'm really, really impressed with her varnishing. Her results look absolutely ideal to me. See especially the last 30s or so of the video. The filmmaker did a fine job of capturing the impact of her varnis.

I saw her work at the BVMA day in London last year and was really taken with the varnishing, very much to my taste.