Sign in to follow this  
Peter K-G

Confessional - Do you use SANDPAPER?

You're joking because it sounds absurd to go the extreme of not using electric light.  And of course, it is absurd.

On the other hand, if you try on going with only fire lights and sunlight for a short while, then you quickly learn the value of the traditional medieval/renaissance arrangement with the work bench placed directly at a north facing window.   And it prompts you to find the value in raking light, etc.

I'm not advocating the extreme of avoiding electric light all the time.  But there is a discovery value in occasionally putting ourselves into the same dilemmas the old makers faced.

low, candle light in a darker room can be one of the best ways to observe the final smooth down and arching, I catch more booboo's this way than any other...the low light helps cast shadows from depressions and lumps that do not show up under intense or normal lighting conditions....

low, candle light in a darker room can be one of the best ways to observe the final smooth down and arching, I catch more booboo's this way than any other...the low light helps cast shadows from depressions and lumps that do not show up under intense or normal lighting conditions....

Nice one Jezzupe :-)

You're joking because it sounds absurd to go the extreme of not using electric light.  And of course, it is absurd.

On the other hand, if you try on going with only fire lights and sunlight for a short while, then you quickly learn the value of the traditional medieval/renaissance arrangement with the work bench placed directly at a north facing window.   And it prompts you to find the value in raking light, etc.

I'm not advocating the extreme of avoiding electric light all the time.  But there is a discovery value in occasionally putting ourselves into the same dilemmas the old makers faced.

Of course I was being silly, but you are right.

I always take my work, when I am "done", into natural sunlight, and quickly realize how far from "done" I actually am.

Light from the side, whether a bulb or a candle, is helpful.  But does anyone have an opinion on the "flicker factor" of a flame?  My impression is that flicker also helps.  (Not suggesting candles or oil lamps are the ideal or should be used all the time; but it does show the work in a different way.)