Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Jacoby

Christopher Jacoby's Bench

Thanks, Curious. I found the courage to add so much black from the pictures of your work, and of Melvin Goldsmith's. The varnish and antiquing, I owe great thanks to Sang Hoon Lee, Ryan Soltis, Antoine Nedelec, and Jeff Phillips. I noted I had gone overboard on the gouge marks after I rubbed the varnish out. :o

Ernie, it's propolis. I have the green propolis problem handled-- just let it sit in the sunlight for five years and thicken into jelly.

Thanks, Austin!

To any and all who'll be in the Baltimore area this weekend for the VSA Convention, I'd be very happy to say hello and have you peruse a couple fiddles I've made in the last month and a half; the Peter of Venice model is one of them. I'll be working the Musaica imports table (A. Cavallo Violins), and we'll have applications for the Spring Competition we're hosting here in Omaha, as well.

Lots of good makers already! And the entry fee is $50 less if you decide to do it by the end of the Convention.

Looking forward to seeing some of you,

Chris

Thanks, Daryl. This has a really high resin content in the varnish, and hasn't been overcoated and polished a great deal. I'm trying to find a middle ground, where the varnish throws a lot of light, but isn't "Moennig-ized."

Hi, Christopher Jacoby,

What do you mean by "just sent off?"  I assumed it means you sold it?  In violin-making school we weren't taught anything about how to sell our instruments.  Got any suggestions?  Mine are just hanging in my shop, needing to be played.

Thanks.

Trench, charisma will serve you. When I separated from my job with Prier and Sons, I would finish three or four instruments, pick a shop that was well known for moving the work of living makers, and make a trip, in person, to try and wholesale, or consign. Shaking the dealers' hands and letting them know who you are, and how you feel about the fiddles you're making gives you an anchor, to be thought of when they next notice they need a little higher-end inventory.

A famous teacher would be your ideal situation. It's scary how fast a teacher can convince their students to trade instruments out. Be careful of commission-seekers, but don't be adamant that you won't pay. If it leads to four commissions, a percentage off the back end is a small price.

The shops I was told to try, eight years ago, were Robertsons, Bearden, Johnson, and A. Cavallo. The boys in Portland are really nice: Schuback and Kerr. Take your fiddles to the VSA Conventions and beg your heros to say mean things about them. Other relationships will follow, but you need visibility.

Good luck. It's tough.