Maestronet Forums

Urban Luthier's Bench

Anyone know where I can find these clamps? Ebay is full off look a-likes but these ones are different - the pads are thicker and the spring tension is higher (just enough to clamp a well fitted lining) but not too tight to leave marks. 

There are no manufactures marks on mine  but they look similar to larger Bessey clamps. I can't find a 50mm version anywhere.

Not sure where i got these but I'd love to find more

IMG_20210121_200621737.jpg

IMG_20210121_202539824.jpg

IMG_20210121_204726410.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have only some of the look alikes and bought them at HomeDepot before departing to Japan. 

I experienced a similar problem with a tool search (forgot what exactly it was) and in the end I figured out that my better version must have been more expensive to manufacture, thus it was discontinued.:unsure:

10 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

I might have only some of the look alikes and bought them at HomeDepot before departing to Japan. 

I experienced a similar problem with a tool search (forgot what exactly it was) and in the end I figured out that my better version must have been more expensive to manufacture, thus it was discontinued.:unsure:

thanks - I got mine at home depot as well - but ages ago and I haven't seen them since

On 1/22/2021 at 7:36 AM, Urban Luthier said:

thanks - I got mine at home depot as well - but ages ago and I haven't seen them since

They still have some. But they are green now and I don’t know if they are thinner than yours. Hope that helps some. 

Jesse 

• 5 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 8:54 PM, Urban Luthier said:

Anyone know where I can find these clamps? Ebay is full off look a-likes but these ones are different - the pads are thicker and the spring tension is higher (just enough to clamp a well fitted lining) but not too tight to leave marks. 

There are no manufactures marks on mine  but they look similar to larger Bessey clamps. I can't find a 50mm version anywhere.

Not sure where i got these but I'd love to find more

IMG_20210121_200621737.jpg

IMG_20210121_202539824.jpg

IMG_20210121_204726410.jpg

I too have searched for the old version. Mine are green. The new ones are wimps.

12 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Great job!  I love how subtle you’ve left everything.  Are you working solely off the poster?

Thanks AD, Jim and Tets for your kind words. Yes mostly working off the poster, and a couple of conversations with the fellow who drew up the poster. Not a slavish copy - I’ve tried to leave a personal footprint inspired by the brothers Amati over (what is most likely) a Girolamo II grand pattern. The surprising thing is that the arching is actually a little lower than the average Strad at the break points and the front and back are quite similar with an attractive but subtle scoop through the waist which is less pronounced on the top.
next time I’ll arch a bit differently, Roger basically stated that the scoop and recurve were finalized with the box closed and defined by the tools used. I was also told to proceed with caution as the recurve on many old Amati’s have sunk below the purpling due to stress and age… all good fun

• 1 month later...

Working on a scroll template for my grand Amati inspired violin. I'm trying to create a 'story stick' for laying out the scroll widths. I used photos of the Alard from the B&G book and tried to follow @Davide Sora diagram. I chose a simplified list of reference points however. The chin, bottom of the scroll, centre of the eye, top and one point on either side of the top, so 8 points in total. (basically the same markers used by Roger in the Bass book). All marked on the drawing. The distance between the circles is a straight line from one marker to the next and the widths were take with a calliper from the Alard in the B&G book

I could use some feedback as I've never done this before. Attached is a PDF of a CAD drawing (the reference mark is 100mm if you print it). The image shows the actual numbers for reference.

Am I on the right track?

Amati Alard Scroll.png

Amati Alard 1649, v2-Layout1.pdf