curious1

Curious1's bench

Here it is attachicon.gifviolinm.wavwith the final post and bridge, i hope. now to decide on strings. it has old Peter Infeld and a Wondertone Solo E.

Very nice ! Fantastic violin. Tell us please, what strings do you prefer and why ? Do you think that combining different brands is acceptable ?

Yes, sounds great.  I can't tell if there's any difference from the previous recording, though.

Not to imply that this is the case here, but I have heard a posted recording that sounded great, then heard the same violin in a VMAAI competition and it sounded completely different and not very good.  So I don't put much faith in recordings of a single instrument... or even playing a single instrument in person.  My ears work better with A/B comparisons.

I do generally prefer Dominants. Very old fashioned but if the fiddle works they usually work. After that Vision Solo and PI.

I play around with e strings the most as they have the greatest effect on the sound overall. I like Jargar Es in both med and forte. Gold Brokat 26. Wonder tone Solo.

I usually don't mix brands.

Yes, sounds great.  I can't tell if there's any difference from the previous recording, though.

Not to imply that this is the case here, but I have heard a posted recording that sounded great, then heard the same violin in a VMAAI competition and it sounded completely different and not very good.  So I don't put much faith in recordings of a single instrument... or even playing a single instrument in person.  My ears work better with A/B comparisons.

When I finish another ill post it and we can try an A/B test.

I do generally prefer Dominants. Very old fashioned but if the fiddle works they usually work. After that Vision Solo and PI.

I play around with e strings the most as they have the greatest effect on the sound overall. I like Jargar Es in both med and forte. Gold Brokat 26. Wonder tone Solo.

I usually don't mix brands.

Hello Curious,

Do you mean the standard Vision Solo or the Vision Titanium Solo?

Thanks in advance!

Roland

P.S.: Nice avatar!

Hello Curious,

Do you mean the standard Vision Solo or the Vision Titanium Solo?

Thanks in advance!

Roland

P.S.: Nice avatar!

Standard. I just put some Evah Pirazzi on it which is what the player I'm showing it to likes.

This was the avatar I had up when I wrote that!

post-53756-0-83339500-1389176776_thumb.jpg

Scroll in the style of Joseph Guarneri filius Andrea.

Post #93: I like filius Andrea scrolls, but what should I be seeing in this particular projection?

Post #93: I like filius Andrea scrolls, but what should I be seeing in this particular projection?

Are you asking about the features of a Joseph Guarneri filius Andrea?

Typically a filius Andrea has, when viewed from the front a wide second turn like a N Amati. From the back,the scroll is more tapered than a Stradivari and can be a little squat looking at the tail. The fluting is deep but not overly so and u shaped like a Stradivari or Amati if not as pronounced. The eye is usually large as are the bevels. The fluting from the side is usually flat in the first turn then deepening. The ears are undercut as is often the first turn. The last turn into the eye can be pinched looking. The tool work is clean but evident. His scrolls are grand in concept and often large (longer than a Stradivari scroll and with a taller/deeper pegbox) but never clunky.

Del Gesus, on the other hand, are more delicate and have a very narrow second turn. The tail of the scroll tends toward pointyness and the fluting is a simpler radius. The eye is generally smaller as are the bevels. The early scrolls are very cleanly worked with very few tool marks evident. The late scrolls look to me very "sanded".