curious1

Curious1's bench

I confess I am floored. ( But you know that Bruch is the standard testing track on MN :) )

Don, I think you did Bruch on one of yours a while ago, didn't you ?

I'll pull out my old score and refresh my memory. :^)

Don, I think you did Bruch on one of yours a while ago, didn't you ?

Yes, but I don't think I'll do that again.  It's out of my comfort zone.  I'm getting sick of Ashokan, but it works decently for a test tune.

Yes, but I don't think I'll do that again.  It's out of my comfort zone.  I'm getting sick of Ashokan, but it works decently for a test tune.

It does just fine, that's true. We should come up with an MN "testing track" - something unique.

It does just fine, that's true. We should come up with an MN "testing track" - something unique.

Personally, when I'm not doodling on the violin I prefer Bach unaccompanied but I'm not sure I'm up for posting that!

It sounds like you know the repertoire. Shall we leave it to you.

Personally, when I'm not doodling on the violin I prefer Bach unaccompanied but I'm not sure I'm up for posting that!

It sounds like you know the repertoire. Shall we leave it to you.

Thanks ! I'll think about. 

By the way : what are you recording with ? A Tascam like Don's ?

Would like to see more of the violin...

Looks like top had been removed for a regrad?

Sound clip does not go with fiddle at the top of the thread. That one is from a few years ago. Can't remember but it is possible I had the top off that one (from before I took good notes).

Hi everyone,

This is a violin I finished recently and can't decide whether to call it done or not. Ive been tinkering with the insides a bit. Still needs a final post and bridge (string heights a little low). Old Peter Infeld strings too. Any comments?

attachicon.gifviolin.mp3

Great violin!

You are cheating because you can also play. 

Ipad internal mic is surprisingly good for recordings, considering that it's just a small whole on the side of the device (turn down gain a little in the recording App)

post-37356-0-40386500-1389003336_thumb.jpg

Great violin!

You are cheating because you can also play. 

Ipad internal mic is surprisingly good for recordings, considering that it's just a small whole on the side of the device (turn down gain a little in the recording App)

attachicon.gifCurious1_violin_06012014.jpg

Shall I give my best bad player imitation next time?

:^)

I've a little plug-in testing mic that I'll try next time and see if I can turn down the gain in the app too.

I'm using a purchased mp3 app. Is there a in iPad recorder? I'm also running iOS 7.

Thought you where using the Recorder in AudioTools Apps from Six Digital (The one you use for tuning)?

Yeah, that's the one I heard.  It's what I listen for to decide if an instrument is new or old; peakiness in the E string, although I have no quantitative analysis to say this is a real difference.  Perhaps stronger output of the higher frequencies masks this peak?  Response curves of the Titian and Vieuxtemps show this peak, but it doesn't seem to be audibly obvious in any recordings I've heard.

In any case, this particular resonance has been a real bear to figure out and try to control.  It seems like when I try reasonable modifications, it just changes mode shape and otherwise stays the same.  A few of my instruments don't have this peak... and I haven't been able to figure out why (it's easier to figure out why something exists, and harder to figure out why it doesn't).

Back mostly, yeah, and mostly the lower area of the lower bout and upper trebel.

But...  the top often joins in too (upper trebel, lower bass).  I have found that if I try to kill an active area by adding a brace, something else lights up.  Now I primarily try to keep the areas closest to the player's ear from lighting up, so at least the player thinks it sounds good.

Here's a fiddle where I show the back mode:

post-25192-0-91247000-1389038584_thumb.jpg

Note that there are three antinodes; the total area of the "+" antinodes appears to be more than the "-" ones.  That would lead to a net volume change, which would make for stronger radiation at this frequency range.

Also note where the sounpost is positioned... right about in the middle of an antinode, which means it will be driven strongly.  This also might be a reason to tilt the sounpost, and get it more toward the edge of the antinode to reduce the power going into this mode.

Hi Carl,

Sometimes I feel like they're never finished. I do like to tinker we I can.

Recently finished. Varnished a little over a month ago. Then I did a little regrad of back and lowering the bar. And just did a little more regrad of back a few days ago.

We were talking about bars : could you explain what effect lowering the bar had ? It went from what to what ?

We were talking about bars : could you explain what effect lowering the bar had ? It went from what to what ?

Not much. The overall bar was as i described my bars in the bass bar thread. Without out looking at my notes I think it was about 13mm high and 3 at the ends. I lowered it overall 1mm. I felt it was a little stiff and heavy (70 gms). Neither m5 or weight changed that much but was enough to loosen it up. Less than a gram and less than 10hz.

Back mostly, yeah, and mostly the lower area of the lower bout and upper trebel.

But...  the top often joins in too (upper trebel, lower bass).  I have found that if I try to kill an active area by adding a brace, something else lights up.  Now I primarily try to keep the areas closest to the player's ear from lighting up, so at least the player thinks it sounds good.

Here's a fiddle where I show the back mode:

attachicon.gif980 hz mode.jpg

Note that there are three antinodes; the total area of the "+" antinodes appears to be more than the "-" ones.  That would lead to a net volume change, which would make for stronger radiation at this frequency range.

Also note where the sounpost is positioned... right about in the middle of an antinode, which means it will be driven strongly.  This also might be a reason to tilt the sounpost, and get it more toward the edge of the antinode to reduce the power going into this mode.

That is about what I pictured with the upper and lower bout but didn't think about post on an antinode. Very nice explaination/theory/idea. :^)

Not much. The overall bar was as i described my bars in the bass bar thread. Without out looking at my notes I think it was about 13mm high and 3 at the ends. I lowered it overall 1mm. I felt it was a little stiff and heavy (70 gms). Neither m5 or weight changed that much but was enough to loosen it up. Less than a gram and less than 10hz.

Thank you ! I'll go over the bass thread and read again.