How were decorative rosettes for viols and violins made?  Over the past week or so I have scoured the internet for information on this subject, but found nothing.  I know the ornamental parchment roses on early guitars and lutes are made separately and installed later.  On violin and viol family instruments (I'm thinking about bass instruments in particular) were they carved directly into the plate or were they a separate piece that was inlaid into a simple hole cut into the top?  I have found several lovely examples on viols on www.orpheon.org.  I very much appreciate any insight anyone could give, as I said, I haven't found any information about these things online.

Hello. Whilst I've made parchment roses for early guitars I've no experience of the Viol type roses. Wood/Parchment roses are certainly made separate to the soundboard, usually of Parchment and Pearwood. Some are multi layers of Parchment. Lute roses are quite different and certainly carved into the soundboard, I've made that type too. You could fire off an email to Alexander Batov and ask him - he makes early Guitars and Viols. He will certainly know about the Viols. His work is also pretty stunning.

Hello. Whilst I've made parchment roses for early guitars I've no experience of the Viol type roses. Wood/Parchment roses are certainly made separate to the soundboard, usually of Parchment and Pearwood. Some are multi layers of Parchment. Lute roses are quite different and certainly carved into the soundboard, I've made that type too. You could fire off an email to Alexander Batov and ask him - he makes early Guitars and Viols. He will certainly know about the Viols. His work is also pretty stunning.

That guy does some incredible work.  Pretty stunning for sure.