Sign in to follow this  
mmmm

Resonation Chinrest...anyone try it?

I just bought one of these...and I like it very much (I'm not associated with the maker in anyway, fyi).  It seems like such a simple idea, but it seems to be effective.  The cork is replaced, apparently, with a kind of angled rubber, giving the violin more freedom to vibrate.  I've always used center mounted chinrests because to me they usually sound better - but the "resonance" Teka rosewood beat out my center mounted Guarneri as well as a normal Teka - and others that I've tried.  Kind of amazing how sensitive violins are to just about everything, including replacing the cork on a chinrest.  Has anyone else tried one of these, or something like it?

http://www.resonationchinrest.com/

How about a photo?...Sounds similar to some of the chinrests available from Dick...which I like but the the pads need to be reglued.  The chinrest slides due to improper adhesion. They sit right on the edge to protect the table and edges. The cdix chinrests also have stainless steel hardware which is nice and best of all the pads don't stick to the varnish like cork.

I'm sceptical. Seems to me that having your chin on it would dampen out any resonance. Perhaps the harder rubber pads allow more vibration to get to your jaw for a perceived improvement.

Though difficult to see from the angle the photos are taken at on the site, it appears to be a standard chinrest that's a bit higher off the body with a thick rubber pad. The footprint is possibly a bit smaller than usual.

Like Doug, I'm a bit sceptical, it doesn't strike me as revolutionary.

I'm sceptical. Seems to me that having your chin on it would dampen out any resonance. Perhaps the harder rubber pads allow more vibration to get to your jaw for a perceived improvement.

Hrm.  As somebody who relies on bone conduction for most of my pitch recognition, I'm definitely intrigued.

If you are asking about pictures of the Resonation Chinrest, you can go to the web site and see pictures there.  www.ResonationChinrest.com .

And it is not just jaw bone conduction so it sounds better under the ear. While it is not big now, John Sherba of the Kronos quartet uses it in rehearsals and in concert, as does Kurt Nikkanen, concertmaster of the New York City Ballet orchestra, among many others. 

And it costs less than a new set of strings just to try it. About $50 for a violin chinrest, a little more for viola. 

Is there a link for Dick's web site, who sells something similar?  I'm curious about that.

How about a photo?...Sounds similar to some of the chinrests available from Dick...which I like but the the pads need to be reglued.  The chinrest slides due to improper adhesion. They sit right on the edge to protect the table and edges. The cdix chinrests also have stainless steel hardware which is nice and best of all the pads don't stick to the varnish like cork.

Enthusiast, what is the picture you are showing?  That isn't a Resonation Chinrest. Where does that one come from?

If "gander" is really Gary Anderson,  patenter of this chinrest, it would be important to know.  Information and salesmanship is a sensitive issue here.

post-6776-0-13190000-1375738520_thumb.jpgpost-6776-0-18948800-1375738555_thumb.jpgpost-6776-0-13958600-1375738596_thumb.jpgHere are some pictures of the chinrest as it sits on one of my instruments.  I had a friend listen as well to the different rests and she agreed with what I was hearing - so I don't think it's simply jawbone vibrations...but who's to say it's not a combination of many things?  In anycase, it really seems to work well...not sure why!

FWIW...I had a fiddle that sounded very bad with any chinrest. It sounded much better without a chinrest. It sounded better with an edge mounted chinrest. My take was that the fiddle had other/graduation issues around the tailblock area...

While it is not big now, John Sherba of the Kronos quartet uses it in rehearsals and in concert, as does Kurt Nikkanen, concertmaster of the New York City Ballet orchestra, among many others. 

But does Hannah Montana use it?

From a theoretical standpoint, the only frequencies that will be affected  by the chinrest are those where the mode shapes have motion of the endblock area.   The B1- resonance at ~440 Hz is the primary one that is affected, and to a lesser extent B1+ at ~530 Hz.  Higher modes generally don't have much endbock involvement.

Assuming the foam is soft enough to permit some movement, I would expect that there would be some damping addad to the two main resonances, mostly the B1-.  This may be a good thing, reducing wolfs.  If there is any effect at higher frequencies, I would expect it to be mostly undesirable, reducing sound. 

seems to me to be a pretty chunky chinrest , so is mass playing a part here ?

Mass, and characteristics of the interface always play a role. I have a patent on some specific applications, but maybe also on the concept.

As best shown in the photos in post #11, how does a player get around the hardware at the bottom sticking out so far?  I have had trouble with even Hill-style hardware which isn't as aggressive as this.  I have absolutely no doubt that the way I hold the violin this would kill me. 

But does Hannah Montana use it?

There was no like button, so I have to process manually. "Like"

As will just said, the most annoying thing is hardware interfering and digging in. This looks painful. I also have serious doubts that any person under 5'4" simply won't be able to get their chin around that chinrest certainly not without losing the shoulder rest any way.

Do you sell them with cork pads?

Gosh golly, Hannah Montana is known even in your obscure part if the world?

That's not a slam. Ann Arbor is widely known as 27 square miles, surrounded by reality. :)

As will just said, the most annoying thing is hardware interfering and digging in. This looks painful. I also have serious doubts that any person under 5'4" simply won't be able to get their chin around that chinrest certainly not without losing the shoulder rest any way.

Do you sell them with cork pads?

If he sold them with cork pads, then they would probably be exactly the same as any stock chinrest you could get from India for a few dollars apiece. There's more than one shop that sells "custom" chinrests that are simply modified or raised chinrests from India.

First time poster, long time lurker.  Must say I learn quite a lot here.  Never really had anything to add until now. I felt like I should chime in since this may be my only addition to the forum.  I recently started using the Resonation Chinrest and noticed an immediate difference after installing it.  There seem to be more overtones and the violin seems to have a warmer tone.  The whole body, including the neck, is vibrating noticeably more than before.  I'll post again if I hear any more changes. Not sure this will help anyone decide to try one but for the price I felt it was worth giving it a shot.

Best to you all. 

First time poster, long time lurker.  Must say I learn quite a lot here.  Never really had anything to add until now. I felt like I should chime in since this may be my only addition to the forum.  I recently started using the Resonation Chinrest and noticed an immediate difference after installing it.  There seem to be more overtones and the violin seems to have a warmer tone.  The whole body, including the neck, is vibrating noticeably more than before.  I'll post again if I hear any more changes. Not sure this will help anyone decide to try one but for the price I felt it was worth giving it a shot.

Best to you all. 

Which kind did you get?

I've had 4 of these (left-mounted) - on 4 violins for a decade and a fellow violinist then put a quarneri  model Resonation Chinrest (RC) on his Enrico Rocco violin with good result. My only disappointment was that I had to go to a different model chinrest from my favored 50 year old Original Stubers.

Another thing, mmmm's photo is misleading. The rubber is not that thick - what you see in the photo are the parts of the rybber that shield the violin edges from the metal posts. The actual rubber linings that rest on the instrument are quite thin.

Much more recently I attempted to order two of the lowest-height RC model to use on my violas and found the resonationchinrest.com website "down for maintenance." So I tried something else - I removed the cork lining from the chinrests I was using and replaced it with 2mm thick rubber sheeting cut to fit. It works at least as well as the RCs lin improving tone. So I took the little bit of rubber I had left and relined two of my old Stuber violin chinrests - and "voila!" fantastic sound and that same old jaw comfort I had enjoyed for earlier decades. Unfortunately I donated my two other Stubers to a local youth orchestra a few years ago (I've ordered two replacements - I hope they have the same contours).