Terrini

C.F Hopf?

I just got a violin have a Hopf stamp inside.  I'm wondering if it is real.

And, how much would it worth?

Thanks.

2u8c4si.jpg

2nuj7uc.jpg

oh1o45.jpg

24evql5.jpg

2hek0wj.jpg

nmyp1w.jpg

Looks like a real violin to me :lol:

I'm going to have mercy on you, and tell you that the classically minimalist manner in which your question is posed will make many people here cringe and head in another direction.  Unlike some, you have included fairly decent photos, so I hope that a Hopf expert will look in and give some courteous opinion about it.  If you let us know more or less where you are located, someone might recommend a shop to take it to for an appraisal, which would be my advice to you.  Good luck :) .

I'm going to have mercy on you, and tell you that the classically minimalist manner in which your question is posed will make many people here cringe and head in another direction.  Unlike some, you have included fairly decent photos, so I hope that a Hopf expert will look in and give some courteous opinion about it.  If you let us know more or less where you are located, someone might recommend a shop to take it to for an appraisal, which would be my advice to you.  Good luck :) .

Hopf expert? Do they exist?

Glenn

From what I've learned on this forum...it can only be a cheap Chinese knock-off of a cheap German Factory knock-off of what might have originally been a Hopf...or not...

....have I finally 'got it'?  ;)

From what I've learned on this forum...it can only be a cheap Chinese knock-off of a cheap German Factory knock-off of what might have originally been a Hopf...or not...

Yes, but you left out "rubbish" :lol:   I think that the OP needs to take it to be examined.  Even if it's an outright fake it looks good, it might sound good as well, and be worth some money, or be acceptable as a trade on something that is. 

No!

The wholesalers (e.g. Pfretschner etc.) had thousands of such instruments made in dozens (hence “Dutzendarbeit”) by artisans who worked at home. I am not aware of a chinese violin industry in the late 19thC., so it gets boring having to tell people that they aren’t chinese 

There are a repair at the bottom.  And, some patch inside...

that's all I can think of to Add.

The sound is ok.  Not exceptional good as I would expect from the "real" Hopf...

Maybe too high expectation...

Thank for the comment so far :)

in case the OP hasn’t been reading Maestronet for a couple of years or more, it’s a Saxon/Bohemian cottage-made violin, c. 1900.

LOL...I'll keep at it then...one of these days I'll figure it all out... :rolleyes:

If so, you may be the first :lol:

The wholesalers (e.g. Pfretschner etc.) had thousands of such instruments made in dozens (hence “Dutzendarbeit”) by artisans who worked at home.

It's the same type of work as they did for the Black Forest cuckoo clocks

Nice flamed back and neck.

Based on a C F Hopf I’ve restored, it seems real.   The back is distinctive.  The high arch and varnish... quite distinctive.  I’ve seen other examples online as well with the same features.  The tops shared the high arch as well .  And the brand.  Yep.  Looks like a C F Hopf to me.  

We had an exhaustive thread about HOPF, explaining nearly everything. For example, that the Hopf family had about 40 members working very different, at different periods after different models, that the brand was used a million times by wholesalers (Pfretzschner) to brand everything etc. etc., so that it's erroneous to tell "That's the way a Hopf has to look".

The CF Hopf brand with three crowns can be found in cheapest mass produced cottage industry Dutzendarbeit as well as in very neatly worked masterpieces from the 2nd half of the 19th century, and all possible shades in between. The OP seems to be from this "in between", a rather well made Dutzendarbeit, but nothing special.