Maestronet Forums

Can we identify this violin?

P J Lester

Quite a nice violin I think, but it came with no information and of it I know nothing. Any light shed would be much appreciated.

Quite a nice violin I think, but it came with no information and of it I know nothing. Any light shed would be much appreciated.

...some better pics may help. I'm curious as to why a violin that I would assume to be around 100 years old would have a graft and bushings?

post-36259-0-32835800-1373414588_thumb.jpg

post-36259-0-37822000-1373414656_thumb.jpg

post-36259-0-93070300-1373414761_thumb.jpg

post-36259-0-93940000-1373414803_thumb.jpg

post-36259-0-12762300-1373414847_thumb.jpg

Geared peg assemblies similar to guitar peg tuners became something of a fad in the late 19th.century, particularly on "catalog" trade instruments..  They seldom age well and generally look like crap.  When removing them, one would bush the existing peg holes, fill the mounting screw holes, rebore the pegbox and install new pegs.

The graft was probably decorative, another fad :lol:

Please try the search function first. Questions such as this has been asked and answered many times over on this forum.

Why so mean spirited ? I have asked many a relentlessly obvious question in my life as I would guess we all have, but luckily I haven't been made to feel ashamed for not knowing the answer. These forums are for sharing knowledge not bragging about what we know. I treasure this resource. Please be nice.

Sincerely.

r.

It originally had a through-neck where the neck and block were all one piece. In order to install a mortised neck, a scroll graft was necessary. I'm also betting they added corner blocks while they were in there.

Is this just a guess or do you know this for certain ? Out of curiousity would you do this if you found an instrument as you have described ?

r.

Why so mean spirited ? I have asked many a relentlessly obvious question in my life as I would guess we all have, but luckily I haven't been made to feel ashamed for not knowing the answer. These forums are for sharing knowledge not bragging about what we know. I treasure this resource. Please be nice.

Sincerely.

r.

Have you considered by asking the OP to search, he (or she) would have benefited from a much wider range of previous responses?

I'm sorry if you consider a polite response to ask someone to search as rude.  Perhaps you would have preferred I referred the OP to this?

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

It originally had a through-neck where the neck and block were all one piece. In order to install a mortised neck, a scroll graft was necessary. I'm also betting they added corner blocks while they were in there.

I've learned to rule nothing out without hand examination but in this case, I consider it more likely that the graft was in imitation of the ones found on baroque period instruments converted to a modern neckset, and performed when the original neck was made.. 

I have a probable Klingenthaler that demonstrates what you describe, however, so it certainly does occur :)

The point of these grafts in general (when not simply for looks) is to conserve the original scroll when a neck is replaced, so the graft could be honestly functional if the neck was broken at some point...