Sign in to follow this  
sabaugher

Buying Varnish Components

Hi guys,

I'm going to try and mix my own batch of 1704 spirit varnish. Does anyone know a good place to order the individual resins and coloring agents?

Thanks!

-Sarah

Hi guys,

I'm going to try and mix my own batch of 1704 spirit varnish. Does anyone know a good place to order the individual resins and coloring agents?

Thanks!

-Sarah

Kremer Pigments NY, it's on the web.  1704 is easy to make and looks good on a fiddle.  It's a pretty good spirit varnish.

Sarah,

Your not going to get much love here on MN for spirit varnish, after all Strad used oil.  Don't let that discourage you.  Spirit varnish can look as nice as oil varnish.  Some spirit varnishes are hard to tell from oil.  If your new to varnishing I highly recommend spirit.  It's so much easier than oil, no dust, no drying problems, easy to color.  It's a good way to learn violin finishing.   

Charles Beare once said its the best of a bad bunch

Maybe ask Manfio for advice , or Joe

or research ,  25%mastic ,25%colophony 50% linseed   , lime it and get colophony above 150*c

it will take some time to learn how to cook this , so enjoy the process and have fun , don't get burnt !!!!!!!

Sarah,

I agree on both counts.  Kremer Pigments will get you good materials.  I also think learning to spirit varnish is a great tool.  If you can spirit varnish, it is easy to learn oil varnishing if you go in that direction. Plus, your retouch skills will improve with every spirit varnish you do...retouch is a great skill to have.

Joe

Hey guys!

Thanks for the suggestions!!! I agree with you that oil varnish is much better, and I am excited to try some out in the future. But, as was said above, I think making a batch of 1704 spirit varnish will be a good first step for me, especially since I want to do some retouching on some old trade instruments  hanging around my house. 

Thanks again for the advice! ;)