Maestronet Forums

Is this Italian?

GoldenPlate

Hi Melvin, I think Peter Ratcliff has expressed what could be considered a serious professional opinion that the back is poplar!

The rules of the Auction Scroll clearly state that it's not allowed to discuss sellers, only violins. It's quite strange to be constantly LECTURED about LEGALITY by someone who clearly can't abide by those rules ... or perhaps hasn't read them. <_<

Martin, I've got to give you props for misdirection.

However, I'm still waiting for your refutation of the facts regarding a SALE, as I've pointed out in post #73.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean Martin Swan and his "Workshop of Strnad?"

I'd appreciate if you would stick to facts and avoid ad hominems. Whether someone such as myself, posts anonymously doesn't mean the arguments (or attributions) have merit or not. This is hardly the first time we've had this discussion.

Basically posting anonymously with strong opinions you fit the definition of a troll and a coward who will not post in their own name and deserves contempt.

Well, I have a theory as to what the violin is, but I'm not sure of my ground so i'm not willing to express that opinion.

I have seen the havoc that can be wrought by ill-informed or prejudiced opinion, and I prefer not to risk it.

In a general sense I agree that the burden of proof is with the seller, and in this case the seller appears not to know. However, illustrating this concept with relation to a particular vioin of mine is specifically against the rules of the forum, and also woefully misguided. I have my own reasons for not wishing to engage in that sad debate, but you are wrong both in general to make such a comparison and in the specific in relation to that particular instrument.

Basically posting anonymously with strong opinions you fit the definition of a troll and a coward who will not post in their own name and deserves contempt.

You're entitled to your OPINION. But your opinion is not fact, and more importantly, doesn't address the arguments at hand.

You know...  I've had a wonderful week in Oberlin and have really enjoyed a break as an acting referee.  I suggest we depart from the accusation/attack/defense party that seems to be continuing on this thread.  This is not what these forums are for.

I'd like to thank Jacob for the very informative posts made earlier in the thread.  Great, productive, and constructive information.