Maestronet Forums

Wittner Violin Peg Winder

miles

Hello to all,

I vaguely remember that years ago there were discussions about Wittner violin peg winder.  The peg winder is recommended to be used for putting new strings.  My question is the reverse: Does one need the winder to remove strings from Wittner pegs?  I want to remove Wittner pegs current on a violin with all four strings and use them on another.  Is it easy for me (quite a clumsy person I must say) to do myself without the winder?  With the winder?  Or should I just leave it to a luthier?  My family and I moved from Chicago to a small town in Florida where violin shops are less than handful.

Many thanks in advance!

miles

You don't need any winder to either put on or remove strings from Wittner pegs. It just takes a bit longer, 90 seconds instead of 20 seconds. Just loosen the string as if you were tuning the note flat and keep turning the peg. Keep an eye on the string as it unwinds to be sure that it continues to spool off the peg, perhaps guiding it if necessary.

Very easy, I'm sure you can do it!

Oded

I once broke my prescription glasses while I was cleaning them with clothes....

Only once??  Wow, you beat me there.  You are good :lol:

Here's a link to a video on fitting Wittner pegs:

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3-EBviJbs

If you are in the Big Bend area, there are some decent shops in Tallahassee. 

Miles, removing Wittner pegs from one violin, and installing the in another might not be a job you want to take on yourself right now. Show both violins to a luthier first to get an idea whether you will run into some major complications, like peg holes being too large, or the pegs being too short, at least.

.....The peg winder is recommended to be used for putting new strings.  My question is the reverse: Does one need the winder to remove strings from Wittner pegs?

Sorry, my understanding of the post was that the question only concerned replacing the strings on Wittner pegs. Removing and replacing Wittner pegs is another story altogether and should be done by a competent luthier.

Oded