Book of Koen Padding's varnish expertise

Please contact us if you can help with this new project.

We are putting together a book of Koen Padding's varnish expertise.  This will include the articles he wrote, transcripts of the talks he gave and most importantly, we are gathering up all the information he passed on so generously to customers and colleagues.

We are looking for any material you might have from Koen do do with varnishing.  This might include information such as how to apply varnishes and grounds, wood preparation, pigments, use of solvents, how to avoid varnish faults etc.  It's particularly useful to have information about why a process should be done in a certain way.  A good source of information so far has been emails that Koen wrote in response to queries from customers.

So far the response to the project has been great - information and offers of help have come in from many makers in Europe and North America.  The publications that printed his articles - the VSA journal, the Strad, BVMA Newsletter and The Conservation, Restoration and Repair of Stringed Instruments and their Bows have all agreed to allow inclusion in the new book.

There is full information about this project on the website www.violinvarnishbook.net.  Please visit the site and contribute  anything you can, however small.

The project has the full approval of Koen's family, and we hope that the book might be available in around 18 months time.

Hello

I've used Koen's  products but have always purchased them from Bill Scott.  I never talked with Koen personally. Please let us know here at MN when the book is available to purchase.

Many Thanks to you and to  Koen's family for supporting the project.

-Ernie Martel

Please contact us if you can help with this new project.

We are putting together a book of Koen Padding's varnish expertise.  This will include the articles he wrote, transcripts of the talks he gave and most importantly, we are gathering up all the information he passed on so generously to customers and colleagues.

We are looking for any material you might have from Koen do do with varnishing.  This might include information such as how to apply varnishes and grounds, wood preparation, pigments, use of solvents, how to avoid varnish faults etc.  It's particularly useful to have information about why a process should be done in a certain way.  A good source of information so far has been emails that Koen wrote in response to queries from customers.

So far the response to the project has been great - information and offers of help have come in from many makers in Europe and North America.  The publications that printed his articles - the VSA journal, the Strad, BVMA Newsletter and The Conservation, Restoration and Repair of Stringed Instruments and their Bows have all agreed to allow inclusion in the new book.

There is full information about this project on the website www.violinvarnishbook.net.  Please visit the site and contribute  anything you can, however small.

The project has the full approval of Koen's family, and we hope that the book might be available in around 18 months time.

http://www.violinvarnishbook.net/

new book Started by James M. Jones, Jun 04 2013 10:35 AM

How can there be a book, if the guy left no notes or recipes? Am I missing something?

Mike,

I believe this effort will at least preserve what information, anecdotal or otherwise, that remains.  I'm sure it will be useful.

I have offered technical assistance as may be necessary.

Joe

How can there be a book, if the guy left no notes or recipes? Am I missing something?

Hi Michael,

I have nothing to do with the book but have a few thoughts as per below...

Koen was very generous with his advice in talking to customers. Recollections of that could be useful. He also provided very extensive instructions with his varnish. sometimes with added hand written notes. If a complete archive of varnish instructions could be archived that would be good. I  don't think that it necessarily matters that the varnish recipes are missing. From what I gather this book is about collecting and celebrating what Koen shared in public. There is a lot to be had from looking at varnish with his perspective.

If Antonio Stradivari died yesterday, I would hope that someone would start collecting information on him from his colleagues too.

We all benefited from his expertise, knowledge and research, not to speak of his generosity, so what a great way to help payback some of that, as a form of tribute.

Great project, and I hope that all involved are successful.

How do we know anything about Socrates, Buddha,  Jesus, or Mohammed?  Their disciples wrote it down, not the men themselves :)

And, yes, around MN, I feel varnish is a religion to some people :lol:

• 1 year later...