Conor Russell

Conor Russell's bench

Thanks Michael.

Here are some pictures of the body. My photography is poor I'm afraid, and I can't seem to get good shots. I'll have to get a few new lights and a decent camera.

post-30909-0-13591200-1429478939_thumb.jpg

post-30909-0-31687900-1429533121_thumb.jpg

post-30909-0-84633300-1429533151_thumb.jpg

post-30909-0-71552600-1429533170_thumb.jpg

I don't know what the fiddle head is made from, I think it may be almond. It's like a hard dark cherry, but I found it in a pile of firewood in Italy so I'm not sure.

Did the wood have a high pitched ring when tapped?  I may have some of that too but I can't say if it's maple.  What is that wood?

The cello is very nice.  I hope the nice edges hold up forever.

Thanks everyone.

Did the wood have a high pitched ring when tapped?  I may have some of that too but I can't say if it's maple.  What is that wood?

The cello is very nice.  I hope the nice edges hold up forever.

I'm sure it isn't maple. I think that it is one of the prunus family. It's hard, and I thought it could be almond, but I've never seen almond wood.

I'm one of those outlier people that doesn't like antiquing, but I find your subtle shading and the varnish texture very attractive.  Love your work. 

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim. I try to leave the varnish looking just a few years old.

Here's the other thing on my bench. I bought the old casting on ebay, turned a spindle and fitted a chuck. You may appreciate a runout of two tenths, tested on a ground bar about half an inch out. I blame the chuck makers!

post-30909-0-45246700-1434717380_thumb.jpg

Ouch, on my drill press I can correct the runnout with a lite mallet smack on the chuck.  Is there any corrections you can do with this, other than replacing the chuck?

-Jim

Edit:  Oops, I realize that Connor ment two tenths of a thousandth not two tenths of an inch.  Forget everything I said above and give me a virtual head slap. :)

Lucky break!

One of my fiddles came in having fallen on it's head the other day.

Apart from a tiny bruise on the front of the scroll, the only damage is a broken neck. No broken pegbox, or cracks of any sort. It made me wonder what might have given, had the heel been pinned with a dowel.

post-30909-0-14578600-1444650018_thumb.jpg

I haven't  posted here in a while!

I got back to work on my first  bass. I put it  off for so long, partly because I couldn't get  the back to bend comfortably. It's a one piece willow back, carved, but with the cant flat. It's  9mm thick at that point. 

Eventually I decided to simply  cut it off, and fit each part to a strut. This allowed me to  bend both pieces to give them a slight arch. Just about  5mm overall, but enough to make the line look less hungry, and to ensurethat the  flat part won't  become  hollow. 

It's a big beast to work  on.  The lower bouts are as wide as a cello  back is long.

Behind the bass are a cello and a violin, ready for  varnish.

20170527_164342.jpg

20170530_113833.jpg

20170530_113847.jpg

20170530_113747.jpg

Thanks!

It must have been a  monster  tree. I had 26 inches of  clear wood to work with  and just had to add a little  wing. It's that soft red stuff from Italy. I left it 15mm in the middle. 

That is an impressive beast.  I like the look of the ribs as well.  Which came first, the desire to make a bass or stumbling upon a back large enough for a 1 piece bass back?  Please show off the bass when finished.

-Jim