Maestronet Forums

Why are the Maestronet Forums so slow to load?

Janito

My 4th attempt at asking the question. Gave up the previous 3 times waiting for the New Topic 'paint to dry'. 

This has gotten worse in the last few weeks.

----------

Google and alternative luthier sites load in a Flash.

----------

With MN so slow, there is no chance that this thread will get hijacked.

I have been trying to post a new topic on the Pegbox for days.  When it isn't plodding painfully slow, the photo uploader still rejects every image I have tried to load.  I'm guessing that evil spam bots have invaded the server, but who knows.  I have seen this sort of thing before, and it usually all goes away in a few days (he says hopefully)...  Paul

It's been four days and I just now have a connection...

Same here. I thought maybe they had not paid for the domain name.

I hope they have the email list so that in the event that Maestronet closes, they can email everyone and find an alternative.

anyone notice a speed bump? MN is faster than I've ever seen it!

It's acceptable.  What most likely has occurred is something related to the ad server and ISP conniptions of the last few days totally outside MN.  You might note that they channel "custom" advertising content (as opposed to the masthead banner ads, some of which have not changed since 2006) so any problem there will affect their scripts.  I'd guess that, given their historically minimalist maintenance approach (at least as grudgingly disclosed in this forum), the "improvement" was unavoidable and related to fixing something else, not something specifically done for the benefit of users as a planned upgrade.  Maybe a server broke and they had to move us to a faster one, maybe routers or something had to be upgraded.  My SWAG is that a parasitic process associated with the advertising had to be speeded up or eliminated.  Enjoy it while it lasts :lol:

If they'd come out in the sunlight and talk to us, we wouldn't have to speculate..

I discovered that I couldn't even look up the IP address.  It seemed that the domain name was no longer in the system.  I'm thinking someone probably forgot to renew the registration.

I won't go that far yet, DNS has its problems sometimes, and that supposition also fails to explain the continuing problems after the server reappeared.  Then, you could ping them, but the response time was awful, and no content got exchanged on query.

Ohhhh, Mark!  Please come out on the balcony and address the peasants.  Your adoring public awaits you! :lol:

I won't go that far yet,

I would.  AT&T's excellent domain-name server could not return an address for maestronet.com, but it worked fine for everything else.  OpenDNS returned a nonworking (but possibly valid) address.  Whatever the cause, a substantial part of the system had forgotten about Maestronet.