Jump to content
Maestronet Forums

Janito's bench


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a ship?  Security?  Or buzzer?

 

At Montacute House:

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/montacute-house

 

Really interesting outpost of the National Gallery featuring a room with many of Henry VIII's senior ministers (many of who were 'removed' for 'treason'):

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/montacute-house/features/the-national-portrait-gallery-and-montacute-house

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Finally getting a break from varnishing - it's a real pain not to be able to create dust.

 

Tackling a long overdue regrad of a red spruce top. Very difficult wood to work cleanly, but good fun!

 

Learned a few things: 

> 3 out of 10 for sealing - clear evidence of varnish on inside of some rib sections and along some curls of very curly maple.

> Bassbar measurements were off piste - trim.

> Post hoc opportunity to take some measurements is OK, but no 'pre hoc' to compare.

post-24474-0-79336100-1481495320_thumb.jpg

post-24474-0-46752700-1481495348_thumb.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The fractures have healed, the soreness is passing and the voice is returning slowly.

Derek, What happened?!  Glad you're recovering from...whatever.  Violin: Very nice!  Did you soften the edges of the f-holes?  Just a question not a critique.  The fittings are very attractive and appear to be a set.  Who made them?

 

Thanks,

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What happened?! 

 

To me, nothing, but to the violin post #156 shows the glue fractures :).

 

The varnish is relatively thick and gives the impression of softened F edges from the way it settled and cured. The angle of the photo also contributes to that impression.

 

I cannot remember where the rosewood fittings came from :(.  Could be from Classic Violins (https://www.classicviolins.com). Petio Kostov has some very nice fittings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glad to hear you're both doing well.  I guessed the softened look on the f-holes was the varnish, but nice to have it verified.  Good information on your polish procedure.  I plan on working on my back more to clear things up a bit once the shop is back up and running.

 

Thanks,

Jim

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

As part of the Neil Ertz violin team, I will be doing some work on the front plate.  In preparation, and because I will be making one in parallel, I have been looking at the information I have on the Kreisler.

I have attached two photos to show the remarkable difference on colour tone of the Strad poster and the Hargrave et al book.  Note the different dates in the 2 publications. 

Also, the long arch of the front of the Kreisler is very similar to the back of the Vieuxtemps!

GdG Kreisler_1730_1733_Front.jpg

GdG Kreisler_1730_1733_Back.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Janito said:

 

Two years later I can confirm this prediction. :)

Awesome!

It really takes time (1-2 years?) for a violin to mature its personality. Last week I made a new (longer) soundpost for the violin I finished in spring 2016. Now it carries out as it should. I now know it is a good idea to stress the backplate before closing the soundbox, this I didn't do on this one. On two previous ones I did and they stabilized more quickly (~6 months).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peter K-G said:

Awesome!

It really takes time (1-2 years?) for a violin to mature its personality. Last week I made a new (longer) soundpost for the violin I finished in spring 2016. Now it carries out as it should. I now know it is a good idea to stress the backplate before closing the soundbox, this I didn't do on this one. On two previous ones I did and they stabilized more quickly (~6 months).

 

Derek,

 

How do you stress the backplate before closing?  Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Peter K-G said:

I posted the answer on my site:

Thanks.

I would probably use the term "preconditioning" as you are altering the shape of the back to reduce the amount of 'new' distortion that would be caused by the soundpost. Presumably that is why you notice that the sound stabilises faster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I made this adaptation of the Stew Mac purfling gizmo to allow me to use a router bit with sufficient clearance for an edge thickness up to ~ 7mm.

Thanks to Kelvin Scott for telling me about the Stew Mac adaptation for use as a router.  Before I used do this (painfullly) with a chisel and plane.

Modified Stew-Max_Adapted for Router bit.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...