John Cockburn's bench

Hi John.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried differents materials like anilina, gamboge, pernambuco, oil tubes and turmeric added to dewaxed shellac and I am not satisfied yet.

As I continue with varnishing I feel that is preferable that the color must come from the sun tanning of the wood and the cooking of varnish and only a little from added pigments.

It's a matter of keep trying , isn´t it?

Regards

Tango

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, everyone.

Mike, the varnish is my usual colophony/mastic/linseed with long cooked colophony and 60:40 resin:oil ratio. It's quite highly coloured, but I still add some madder lake. 

Fully vanished all over, then selectively worn off with alcohol. The usual thing, really... :)

Thanks, everyone.

Mike, the varnish is my usual colophony/mastic/linseed with long cooked colophony and 60:40 resin:oil ratio. It's quite highly coloured, but I still add some madder lake. 

Fully vanished all over, then selectively worn off with alcohol. The usual thing, really... :)

Really nice looking fiddle! What is your ratio of colophony and mastic these days? I've dropped mine down to 5%. I still don't have the patience to cook colophony for 100 hrs yet

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...