Michael Köberling`s bench

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
48 minutes ago, Michael K. said:

Long time i didn´t post anymore.

But here it comes the Cello i have entered to the Triennale in Cremona. (No... not reach the final)

(Tailpiece of course came up closer to Bridge after Photoshot. And.... the F-hole are a bid too straight.

You all think so?

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_15531.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554c.jpg

Nice clean work. To put myself under the hat of a juror I’d need more pictures. 
i agree that the ff look a kind of weak a bit x-leg-ish, pegbox from the side somehow the volute lacks a bit of ‘weight’ and the recurve towards the neck (seen from the side) is too much for my taste. Varnish applied nicely, but looks a bit opaque on the pictures. On the point scale I’d guess you landed somewhere at 80/100 〜85/100 for workmanship. 

But you know, so much depends on the composition of the jury. I think for the Triennale it is really best just to get as close as possible to the taste of an original Strad (maybe except for a violas)

6 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

i agree that the ff look a kind of weak a bit x-leg-ish, pegbox from the side somehow the volute lacks a bit of ‘weight’ and the recurve towards the neck (seen from the side) is too much for my taste. Varnish applied nicely, but looks a bit opaque on the pictures. On the point scale I’d guess you landed somewhere at 80/100 〜85/100 for workmanship. 

But you know, so much depends on the composition of the jury. I think for the Triennale it is really best just to get as close as possible to the taste of an original Strad (maybe except for a violas)

Try to get the photos from the Triennale on a file. Guess it will looks different as mine I took. 
The scroll template is just simple from a Strad Cello. (Not remember exactly).

However…. Customer is happy thats the way.

Yes, I can see how you would be disappointed in that. Really? It looks great!  Everything about judging is about personal taste. Even things like workmanship are subject to pet peeves. Rounder edges, sharper edges.  Style is the same way. The scroll looks wonderful with that wood and edge treatment, but Andreas wants less recurve. It is almost like trying to sell the cello to the judge. Actually several judges. 

You don't need to, you have a happy customer!

Your photos of texture and close up varnish and edge work show nothing is lacking.

Good job.  

Murnau sounds like a Polynesian island. A city in Bavaria? Hah. I would have never guessed that.

11 hours ago, Michael K. said:

Try to get the photos from the Triennale on a file. Guess it will looks different as mine I took. 
The scroll template is just simple from a Strad Cello. (Not remember exactly).

However…. Customer is happy thats the way.

You know, judges need to work from a fixed idea what they like and what not in the framework of the competition. Otherwise they won’t get anywhere in the limited time they have to get to a result.

I was in my post just trying to figure out what possibly could have lost points on an otherwise flawless cello. 

There is always a sort of disappointment when one feels that one has not been judged fairly. What is important to remember is that the criteria of the judges might be different from your own. This doesn’t make a good instrument worse than it is. 

Luck is necessary too, wishing all the best luck for the next time, especially because I see someone who can look on his own work with some critical distance. 

21 hours ago, MANFIO said:

Superb! Bravo!

Thank you!

21 hours ago, Ken_N said:

Yes, I can see how you would be disappointed in that. Really? It looks great!  Everything about judging is about personal taste. Even things like workmanship are subject to pet peeves. Rounder edges, sharper edges.  Style is the same way. The scroll looks wonderful with that wood and edge treatment, but Andreas wants less recurve. It is almost like trying to sell the cello to the judge. Actually several judges. 

You don't need to, you have a happy customer!

Your photos of texture and close up varnish and edge work show nothing is lacking.

Good job.  

Murnau sounds like a Polynesian island. A city in Bavaria? Hah. I would have never guessed that.

No, nothing of disappointing.

Murnau is the Bora-Bora of upper Bavaria haha....

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:18 PM, Michael K. said:

Long time i didn´t post anymore.

But here it comes the Cello i have entered to the Triennale in Cremona. (No... not reach the final)

(Tailpiece of course came up closer to Bridge after Photoshot. And.... the F-hole are a bid too straight.

You all think so?

IMG_1550.jpg

IMG_15531.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554c.jpg

On 9/19/2021 at 5:19 PM, Andreas Preuss said:

I saw this cello at the Triennale, and I can say that the opacity of the varnish that Andreas Preuss refers to was absolutely not there, the transparency was excellent. You deserved a definitely better position in the ranking, but unfortunately this year one of the jury luthiers was particularly bad in his judgments, and you were one of his victims, like many other luthiers who were inexplicably heavily penalized by him. I believe that luthiers who use judgments in this reckless way should be banned by international juries, but don't be mad, competitions, even the most renowned, are certainly no guarantee of accuracy in the final judgment...

As for your cello, in fact it seems to me that the fs are a bit too straight and with the stems a little too S-shaped. Also, the lower corners are too long for my taste, they seem a bit unbalanced compared to the upper ones. However, a great quality of work, my compliments!

It was a pleasure to meet you in Cremona, I hope we meet again next time you come.

Davide

PS Don't waste your talent on antiqued instruments, modern ones are much better. Ah ah:lol::lol:

21 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

I saw this cello at the Triennale, and I can say that the opacity of the varnish that Andreas Preuss refers to was absolutely not there, the transparency was excellent. You deserved a definitely better position in the ranking, but unfortunately this year one of the jury luthiers was particularly bad in his judgments, and you were one of his victims, like many other luthiers who were inexplicably heavily penalized by him. I believe that luthiers who use judgments in this reckless way should be banned by international juries, but don't be mad, competitions, even the most renowned, are certainly no guarantee of accuracy in the final judgment...

As for your cello, in fact it seems to me that the fs are a bit too straight and with the stems a little too S-shaped. Also, the lower corners are too long for my taste, they seem a bit unbalanced compared to the upper ones. However, a great quality of work, my compliments!

It was a pleasure to meet you in Cremona, I hope we meet again next time you come.

Davide

PS Don't waste your talent on antiqued instruments, modern ones are much better. Ah ah:lol::lol:

Hello Davide! Thank you for your nice words here. Yes you are right with the F-holes. 
I have no Idea who was the judge who lower down the points on me and others. 
As an example "Level of woodworking technique" I got 8-9-9-9-6 (the last one give me furthermore 6-5-5)
But for me I was not disappointed. More funny was to show the Jury my mistakes they overseen it all :lol:.
And nobody has seen my Fingerboard was Corene instead of Ebony.

Yes antiquing, an endless discussion. But well when customers orders.... I will not refuse it. A part of business (when i don´t do it, somebody else will do) and passion. 

39 minutes ago, Michael K. said:

Hello Davide! Thank you for your nice words here. Yes you are right with the F-holes. 
I have no Idea who was the judge who lower down the points on me and others. 
As an example "Level of woodworking technique" I got 8-9-9-9-6 (the last one give me furthermore 6-5-5)
But for me I was not disappointed. More funny was to show the Jury my mistakes they overseen it all :lol:.
And nobody has seen my Fingerboard was Corene instead of Ebony.

Yes antiquing, an endless discussion. But well when customers orders.... I will not refuse it. A part of business (when i don´t do it, somebody else will do) and passion. 

Ah, I hadn't noticed the Corene fingerboard either:rolleyes:

I was (almost^_^) kidding about the antiquing, I think everyone can do what they want, of course. Especially when the work looks well done, as it seems to me from your photos.

Cheers

PS I sent you a personal message