Michael K.

Michael Köberling`s bench

You are another standard, sir.

Is that a plastic form around your bassbar? I would assume it avoids toolmarks in the shaping process?

It is a "plexi-glass"  (Polymethylmethacrylat) of 6mm thickness. I use it as a frame to keep the top in shape and free of tension during the fit and gluing work. The 5 arms prevent a slip during the gluing work and keep it in position. I use this instead of small cleats.

You can find also this method in the "Strad-Secrets" Part 1, by Gregg Alf.

It is a "plexi-glass"  (Polymethylmethacrylat) of 6mm thickness. I use it as a frame to keep the top in shape and free of tension during the fit and gluing work. The 5 arms prevent a slip during the gluing work and keep it in position. I use this instead of small cleats.

You can find also this method in the "Strad-Secrets" Part 1, by Gregg Alf.

Looking at that, my solution kind of looks a little bit primitive:

post-37356-0-31738000-1368862322_thumb.jpg

There is not much tension however, I just make the bass bar fit very well.

Please tell me something about the varnish. I love the red one.

It is amber oil varnish. The red color was applied in three coats as i remember mixed together with a dark brown pigment from wal-nut.

Honestly it is from Old wood company in Spain. But i use not the complete system. Just the oil varnish and some pigments. But it need much experince and experiments to get nice results.

Honestly it is from Old wood company in Spain. But i use not the complete system. Just the oil varnish and some pigments. But it need much experince and experiments to get nice results.

I'm pushing the "Like" button for OW.

Please tell us more and feed us with pictures... :)

Please tell us more and feed us with pictures... :)

Yes i will post some more photos. I just start to varnish a cello wich is the instrument no. 100 out of my hand.

If anything could be more than 100%, your work would be! Nice texture on the top, I Ieft texture on my last violin too. Do you usually leave tops like that or do you polish them?

If anything could be more than 100%, your work would be! Nice texture on the top, I Ieft texture on my last violin too. Do you usually leave tops like that or do you polish them?

The final look of the surface depends most on my customers wish. Here he give me free hands on it. Japanese market like to see them polish mostly.