Maestronet Forums

neil ertz's bench

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Thanks all....Chris the system on this one is basically the same as i have been doing for a while but yes there is a little stain on the wood also to enhance the figure and attempt to get the dirty look on worn areas ...... Hi John, i was saving that dust to put in the fiddle :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Don, I’m not sure what they are called… a supplier here in the uk used to have a make of fittings they called  their “TWI” range that made great pegs and chin rests, at one stage last year they stopped dealing in the range,  i bought a pile of their remaining stock and this is one of the last ones i have.

neil

Hi Neil

I love the hue of the worn areas. 

When I try this I can´t achieve such a clear brown and grey. Always appear  the clear hue of new wood.

I think I must learn to use some stains after scratching and sanding in the antiquing process.

Congratulations, I like a very much how it look.

Regards

Tango

Hi Tango, Thanks! much of it is i just got lucky with some great wood that took on colour in a nice way….i also apply a wee bit of stain in some areas at the time of the ground, and then some more once i have worn off certain areas of varnish, but i try to avoid too much staining or anything that will not carry on wearing in a natural way. 

regards, neil

Hi Tango, Thanks! much of it is i just got lucky with some great wood that took on colour in a nice way….i also apply a wee bit of stain in some areas at the time of the ground, and then some more once i have worn off certain areas of varnish, but i try to avoid too much staining or anything that will not carry on wearing in a natural way. 

regards, neil

Neil

Thanks for the comment. I will experiment this in a white chinese violin.

Regards

Tango

hey Neil. Awesome as alwasy.

Any guidance you can share on what you are using to stain the wood? I'm interested in learning more about staining workflows.

I've been experimenting with a madder tincture in shellac, sandarac, mastic in alcohol ( 2:1:1:8) over a very week glue size to add a bit more colour to the wood before varnishing. 

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, I try to get as much colour from uv before anything else…normaly two to three weeks is all i manage as I’m often running late to a schedule and have someone waiting for the instrument to be finished.

I then try to lightly stain up the areas that will be exposed by worn areas of varnish and rub a bit “dirt” into the areas one would expect to find more dirt breaking thought the ground….the type of stain depends quite a bit on the wood, i tend to use a combination of nuss-bitze and watercolours with added earth colours for the dirtier areas…..to be honest i tend to be constantly experimenting so each instrument will have a different system, I am presently finishing the varnish on a viola with a slab back and that was lovely to colour up and far easier to get the look then quarter cut maple generally is. n

• 3 months later...