On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, joerobson said:

This is merely the beginning.....

On average how long do you cook the resin?

2 hours ago, joerobson said:

Between 10 and 300 hours depending on the varnish.

Wow, 300 hours.  I have some resin that's been cooked for 100 hours. Maybe I'll cook it longer this summer and see what happens. Thanks Joe.

Today we begin "Practical and Artistic Violin Varnishing Workshop" for 2017.

Thanks go to the Chicago School of Violin Making for their support.

On 11/05/2017 at 3:52 PM, joerobson said:

Varnish Workshop crew 2017.  Thanks to all who made this possible!

crew 2017 1.jpeg

Some very happy looking people there! Looks like everyone has had a good time (or maybe just high on varnish fumes), and quite a range of different finishes.

On 07/03/2017 at 2:47 AM, Wood Butcher said:

Some very happy looking people there! Looks like everyone has had a good time (or maybe just high on varnish fumes), and quite a range of different finishes.

Our goal in the Workshop is match the maker's vision, the instrument, the materials, and the application method.

Joe

Eli's little fiddle.  This is a half size that I varnished about 14 years ago for my granddaughter.  Now my 5 year old grandson Eli will take it home to start Suzuki.

This is the first varnish job I showed anyone.....

IMG_20170713_104627662.jpg

Doesn't look like you learned much in 14 years.   Looks great, just like all your varnish jobs. B)  Congrats on your grandson taking up the violin.  Must feel really special seeing the fiddle you varnished being passed on to the next generation. 

-Jim 

3 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

I've noticed you varnish a lot of these fiddles with the decorated inlaid backs. Who makes them?

This is a daSalo viola..15 3/8.... individually made for me.  This maker also does the del Gesu King Joseph for me.  You will understand that I cannot share the details.

His work is always top shelf!

Joe

The woodwork and especially the inlay always look so well done and your varnish is the icing on the cake. Are you selling these somewhere or is there a place I can have a better look?

7 hours ago, lpr5184 said:

The woodwork and especially the inlay always look so well done and your varnish is the icing on the cake. Are you selling these somewhere or is there a place I can have a better look?

The most recent Viola is available at Korinthian Violins in Milwaukee.  There are pictures on my Facebook page: Violin Varnish Ltd.

Inside and outside the woodwork on these instruments is excellent.  They are made to original specifications.