Peter,

I polish, but I do not use any polishing products.  I like the kind of sheen I can get on the varnish...shiny but not glossy.

Joe

Alcohol & Oil ?

I guess this thread would be a good place to ask.   Would there be any use for Kaolin in varnish making?  maybe as a filler with the ground?     Just wondering because there are kaolin mines near me and ocasionaly I see it scattered along the roads  

Mike,

I like kaolin for removing oil from the instrument after polishing.  I also use it as a fine polishing powder.

Alcohol & Oil ?

Peter,

linseed oil...!

Joe

Mike,

I like kaolin for removing oil from the instrument after polishing.  I also use it as a fine polishing powder.

Peter,

linseed oil...!

Joe

Aha only linseed oil, Thanks.

Mike,

Hi Joe

Adviced by you I use caolin to degrease the oil and trípoli polishing.

Is the caolin finer than tripoli?
If it is finer I would use it at final polishing

Regards
Tango

Which varnish did you use on the da salo? It,looks similar to my test using alizarin purple, which from memory (I know, I shouldn't varnish. Or make pastry) had a pinch of alizarin orange added to brown out the purple a bit.

David,

The de Salo is Balsam Ground + Aged Wood Colors.  Then Greek Pitch Brown + a small amount of Greek Pitch Rose.

Peter,

I think the camera is fine...but the cameraman lacks skills.

Joe

Which varnish did you use on the da salo? It,looks similar to my test using alizarin purple, which from memory (I know, I shouldn't varnish. Or make pastry) had a pinch of alizarin orange added to brown out the purple a bit.

Joe,  I like your neat little varnishing setup: viola on a spit.  Keeps both hands free.  I like it.  Varnish job isn't bad either.

Ken

Yes Kaolin is finer.

Hi Joe

My mother taught to be grateful.
The kaolin with linseed oil (after trìpoli) worked great.

Many thanks Joe.
Tango

looks great!  Reminds me of post #3.  How do you treat the neck?

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Neck = Aged Wood Color + linseed oil + kaolin.

Joe

Ernie,

Balsam Ground + Aged Wood Colors.  Lots of Aged Wood Gold used with Balsam #2.  Aged Wood Gray Green on the edges. Aged Wood Dark Brown between #2 and #3.  3 applications Balsam Ground Varnish...water thin.

Pretty much my usual lately.

Joe

Is the Aged Dark Brown something new? I haven't tried that yet. Is that account for the dark flames? Looks real nice!

Ernie,

AWC Dark Brown has been around for a year or so.  I don't think you have seen it.

Joe