Sign in to follow this  
Melvin Goldsmith

Melvin Goldsmith bench

Some varnishing work in progress and checking the look under UV. The clear under varnish fluoresces white and the color coat is orange pink. The color varnish is red in a thick layer, orange in a medium layer and yellow in a thin layer. I modify it with pigments if required...not much pigment is needed.

DSCF4019.JPG

DSCF3993.JPG

DSCF4023.JPG

Wow, the chipped away areas on the back look amazing! 
The colored varnish layer appears more substantial than I expected. 

Out of curiosity, do you apply a thin varnish glaze to seal it all in or just finish it off with polishing?

On 12/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, DoorMouse said:

Wow, the chipped away areas on the back look amazing! 
The colored varnish layer appears more substantial than I expected. 

Out of curiosity, do you apply a thin varnish glaze to seal it all in or just finish it off with polishing?

It is inspired by one or two del Gesu I know where the varnish layer is thick like this. I will finish with a few French polishings which will compress the varnish layer and reduce the contrast.

On 3/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, Melvin Goldsmith said:

Fine performance, wonderful sound! Your client must be happy. Seeing videos like this of your work --- kind of makes one think that the age old debate of 'old' vs 'new' is a solved problem. 

On 3/17/2019 at 8:54 PM, Melvin Goldsmith said:

If you watch him play and listen you can tell he if very connected to this instrument and his body relaxed.  There is a freedom in the playing that is reflected in the music.  This instrument fits him perfectly and is responsive to what he is giving it (and vice versa). Beautiful thing to watch. 

Another fine gem. Besides admiring pictures of your work I find that  it is really interesting to simultaneously see and hear these new creations and churches tend to have such great acoustics for these test drives.