Sign in to follow this  
Melvin Goldsmith

Melvin Goldsmith bench

The few pictures in this post are for MN member Tango who some time ago I promised to show ribs being removed from a mold with all linings attached. These are cello ribs and I did not document the process well. I hope to show violin ribs before too long and in better detail but I hope something here could be of use or interest.

Hi Melvin

From that date of February 2014 I followed your removing way successfully (on violins) and did adopted.
This time I bother you with another question because I will make my first cello.
How much room do you use between the mold and linnings for easy remove the cello mold in that way?

Regards
Tango

post-38774-0-82364000-1465661724_thumb.jpg

Hi Melvin

From that date of February 2014 I followed your removing way successfully (on violins) and did adopted.
This time I bother you with another question because I will make my first cello.
How much room do you use between the mold and linnings for easy remove the cello mold in that way?

Regards
Tango

Hi Tango....it is about 7mm

It cuts fast and seems to last a long time. More than sandpaper would.  But it is still an abrasive, I just recently started using it.  I follow with a lite scraping.  I've heard of DG's with scratches from an abrasive, I bet it was shave grass.

Yes. It's a del Gesu model. This is the first time I finished a fiddle with shave grass. There are several varieties of shave grass. The stuff that grows near me has a totally smooth stem but this stuff that comes from France has the coarsest fastest cutting nature that I have so far met. Even so I am not sure that I can use this to lay down the kind of abrasion marks that I have seen under the varnish on one or two Strads.....I am inclined to still suspect a certain kind of dogfish skin. Shortly after this picture was taken it occurred to me to wet the wood before smoothing it with this horstail. That seemed to work better. I removed the slurry with a damp linen cloth

Hi Melvin,

Interesting way of using shave grass!

There seem to be a range of abrasive markings on Strads.  The problem is that it's not always possible to say what might be original and what is not.  The abrasive markings on the Messiah pegbox cheek would almost certainly have to be original.  The ones in the photos of corners that I posted in Kevin's thread in Pegbox are also likely to be original.  (I've seen this form of marking on several Strads.)

A while back I did a bit of an experiment with shave grass (equisetum) and dogfish skin and took photos (See below).  I deliberately tried to make the dogfish markings as parallel as I could but couldn't achieve the appearance seen in the Strad corner photos.  I that case, the equisetum looked more likely.  However the markings on the Messiah pegbox could be from dogfish..???....

post-24896-0-42474300-1474155911_thumb.jpgpost-24896-0-79692700-1474155933_thumb.jpg

From around 1741 it is not entirely Cremonese and what we see is not the developement, deteriation or progress of del Gesu..It is other hand(s)  doing the work under his supervision

Right, "Canary Bird" 1743

post-29794-0-72519300-1474382193_thumb.jpg