Maestronet Forums

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linseed oil boiled at steady temperature for 4,5 hours ~95 C. (Must admit I don't know why it's good to do this). I wonder if it's fire hazardous to thicken the linseed oil in UV chamber. Probably a bad idea.

I finished purfling channel, still waiting for purfling that I ordered. Figured out how to use the purfling knife, you are NOT supposed to see what you are doing just do :)

post-37356-0-42411300-1384618834_thumb.jpg post-37356-0-14496300-1384619132_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

UV thickening is not possible here now, so I'm just going to cook a batch of varnish with it as is.

Back preliminary roughed-out (Table 12), arch height 16,5 mm. 25 Hz higher than first row in the table, but this without purfling (Humidity 40 %) The wood is great, very easy to tune. Hard to imagine that there is still 1/3 of the weight  to go.

post-37356-0-78661800-1384708537_thumb.jpg

business trip next week...

Titian meditation & Violin #5 meditation (no mixing yet)

Recording tech stuff is (almost) as difficult as making violins. Two important things learned, first of all the Strad 3D recordings are very skillfully mixed. The other thing is that one need to get rid of the echo bouncing from the gypsonite walls. This makes the spectrum/sound too full compared to reality, you get noise from echo, next to the original sound from the violin.

post-37356-0-63917200-1385199144_thumb.jpg post-37356-0-73140700-1385199714_thumb.jpg

(Third, I need a violinist to play)

Violin makers don’t always have sufficiently high-performance wood. This is why, in the second edition, I recommend starting with a top plate arch 18 mm high, before reducing this height in the final adjustments. If the frequency is somewhat low, compensate it by leaving a larger flat surface at the center of the top plate.

www.kreitpatrick.com

Violin makers don’t always have sufficiently high-performance wood. This is why, in the second edition, I recommend starting with a top plate arch 18 mm high, before reducing this height in the final adjustments. If the frequency is somewhat low, compensate it by leaving a larger flat surface at the center of the top plate.

www.kreitpatrick.com

This remark about finding high-performance wood rings loud with me. (No pun intended.) Seriously, for those of us who did not buy a whole log that has superior characteristics, we are stuck with whatever is shipped from a supplier. A few suppliers do provide some data about their tonewood, but most do not. The point of my remark is that we must learn how to work around this by compensating with a good design.

Mike