christian bayon

Christian Bayon´s bench

lpr5184   

Christian

Thanks for the list of ingredients but I would like to know more specifically about how you are using the ingredients to achive a base color to the white wood prior to sealing. Surely you are not coloring the wood with earth/pigments. Do you make tinctures out of the dye stuff and apply? I really love the flashes of gold color in the recent pictures. Is that the gamboge? 

Also...Could you suggest some transparent earth colors that you like and use?

Thanks

I´m not sure the ground need to be transparent, and classical varnish are not more transparent that modern-makers`s varnish (and less in the case of Venezia varnishes)

I use earth for colouring wood too, and the yellow come from gambodge. I use regular earth from Kremer, sienna and umber.

The difficulty, IMO, is, when you are colouring the bare wood, you are always on the limit to get enough colour but to not  stain the wood, you master it with wood polishing or not polishing, burnishing and the strength of your colour, with water or alcohol or oil.

Christian, I was the boy soprano in a touring choir doing Chichester Psalms when I was 10, and got to sing in that gorgeous hall! We actually did a pin-drop in the empty hall, standing in the top oif the balcony seats, and it rang like a tiny silver bell. Say hello to the room for me!

The great Tchaikovsky Concert Hall, Moscow.

Interestingly, this hall was originally built as Meyerhold Theatre in the end of 1930's. After Meyerhold met his death by firing squad in 1940, the theatre building became Tchaikovsky Concert Hall.

Christian,

Well you keep good company...very nice.  I am often asked "How do you know when your varnish is 'right'?".

My answer is, "Can you picture it in a quartet?  Does it fit?".

Yours fit so well.

Nice work.

Joe

New viola, CA Testore again!

Hi Christian,

Nice work and wonderful workshop!Good choice for a viola pattern too.

Is the "purfling" on the back the same as on the original instrument that inspired you or you were  a bit lazy that time ? ;)