christian bayon

Christian Bayon´s bench

Very nice looking as usual Christian! No antiquing just some color fade in the upper bouts? Please post another picture after the final varnish is on.

When the varnish is dry enough, I use Micromesh 2800 to polish it. I´m little by little reaching the colour, the texture and the varnish thickness I´m aiming for.

Now, I will let it dry for some time, but at this point, at least, I have a violin for 0ne or two month, so the musician who want to try one can come to my shop.

http://imgur.com/a/Ly6Zm

3H1A5929-ConvertImage(1).jpg

3H1A5926-ConvertImage(2).jpg

3H1A5931-ConvertImage.jpg

3H1A5932-ConvertImage(2).jpg

3H1A5937-ConvertImage(1).jpg

Love the color!  I have trouble getting a red violin that is a vibrant yet not in your face color.  Yours has that depth of color and clarity.  I see that you also varnish and then assemble your instrument?  What are the benefits?   I have seen other makers that do that and think I might try it on my next one, I am always trying different techniques and people always comment that my violins do not look like from the same maker.  Do not know it that is good or bad ;)

For varnish the instrument at the same time I´m making it, I do this way since 15 years, I think I was the first one to do that on regular basis, even if Rubio was doing this for the ground, not for the varnish. The benefit for me are many, but I don´t think it´s convenient for everybody. I spend 28 years restoring and only 13 making, so, maybe, I´m not yet a real maker, just a restorer making new instruments. For the colour, I think it´s interesting to have the colour next to the wood and a lot of transparent varnish on top of it, it help the feeling of deepness. I always try different techniques too.

42 minutes ago, christian bayon said:

Shit happens!

3H1A6418.JPG

3H1A6419.JPG

Ouch! One of yours? I wasn't aware you were still doing restoration work, I suppose unless the misfortune is from one of your lovely instruments?

DGSR:)

That is a beautiful red Christian.  I've found that Alizarin seems to fade some, but I have one that used Venetian red pigment that has COMPLETELY faded.  Figure that out.

Beautiful work.  I like the texture too.

Ken

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:49 AM, christian bayon said:

Pure beauty, David Tecchler "ex- Romberg"

3H1A6841.JPG

These pegs are super nice!...Are they bois de rose?