Maestronet Forums

G.A. Pfretzschner History anyone?

jonfrohnen

Hello, does anyone have any information on G.A. Pfretzschner?  I know he had a pretty large operation, I have a few of his three star bows and they are fantastic.  But has far as the history of this firm I can't even discover what G.A. stands for!  If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated!  Cordially, Jon

According to their catalogue, the large Markneukirchen wholesaler G. A. Pfretzschner was founded in 1834. Lütgendorff (1922) reports that the firm started life as M. C. R. Andorff and subsequently became the property of Adolf Pfretzschner and later his son Hans Pfretzschner together with the firm's director Max Martin, and had been re-named “Deutsche Signal-Instrumentenfabrik Pfretzschner & Martin vormals M. C. R. Andorff”.

We know from the prior link in the Music Trade Review (1903) that the sole G.A. Pfretzschner importer in America was M. E. Schoening of 369 Broadway NY. In another publication, “The Horseless Age...” 1907 we learn that Schoening also imported auto-horns from the “Deutsche Signal-Instrumentenfabrik.”

I am not aware of, and doubt the existence of an individual called Pfretzschner with the initials G.A. The firm wholesaled vast amounts of instruments and sundry equipment made in the cottage industry of the area. Your bows could be from any of the hundreds of bowmakers who delivered their wares by the dozen (hence the German term “Dutzendarbeit"), just as were instruments, bows etc. with many other trade names similarly sourced in the cottage industry production, for instance Eduard Reichert/Dresden (see post #19 here: http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/243250-eduard-reichert-1912-violin/ )

Seems to stand for Gustav Adolf Pfretzschner, interesting article and PDF link as well below. 

http://musikwinkel.info/2011-11-15/ein-ruckblick-auf-die-geschichte-der-musikinstrumentenhandler-in-markneukirchen-am-beispiel-der-firma-g-a-pfretzschner/

Sounds like the German equivelent to J.T. Lamy to me....lots of good stuff (some great stuff) and lots of not-so-good stuff. J

• 4 years later...
On 4/29/2013 at 6:45 PM, jonfrohnen said:

Seems I'm not the only one in love with the 3 star bows...someone paid quite a bit for this messy GAP***...

That bow has silver mounts and a tortoise shell frog and a fancy, though damaged, tortoise shell button.  I have had several quite nice silver ebony G A Pfretzschner bows and I have a silver and tortoise shell one.  Also a lot of cheap violins and bows bearing the same name.

3 hours ago, Brad Dorsey said:

That bow has silver mounts and a tortoise shell frog and a fancy, though damaged, tortoise shell button.  I have had several quite nice silver ebony G A Pfretzschner bows and a lot of cheap violins and bows bearing the same name.

I have a very nice three-star GAP with engraved silver mounts (including the slide, but excluding the top of the ferrule). Ebony frog, no eye, but has the usual Pfretzschner logo on the thumb side. Am I wrong in assuming the  H R Pfretzschner's are generally of a better quality?

1 hour ago, akaBobH said:

I have a very nice three-star GAP with engraved silver mounts (including the slide, but excluding the top of the ferrule). Ebony frog, no eye, but has the usual Pfretzschner logo on the thumb side. Am I wrong in assuming the  H R Pfretzschner's are generally of a better quality?

G.A. Pfretschner was one of the largest wholesalers with a large catalogue of all musical mechandice, sourced in the region from all sorts of wreched artisans, who traded into the DDR period until they wound up in the 1960’s. H.R. Pfretschner by contrast was a dynasty of Master bow makers, starting in the mid 19th. C, down to the last one, who is about my age, and lives in Berlin, so you are kind of comparing two different things

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Jeff White said:

Aha, I somehow missed that GAP and HRP were in the same family (son/father).  Great read

Where does it say that , Hermann Richard  was the son of Carl Richard , Herman Richard  had a son Richard Hermann? Different line to GA Pfretzschner.

http://www.pfretzschner-markneukirchen.de/html/pfretzschner-firmentradition.html

On 2/1/2021 at 2:28 AM, fiddlecollector said:

Where does it say that , Hermann Richard  was the son of Carl Richard , Herman Richard  had a son Richard Hermann? Different line to GA Pfretzschner.

http://www.pfretzschner-markneukirchen.de/html/pfretzschner-firmentradition.html

I guess I didn't read it carefully enough.